Spark Problem!

GoldenMotor.com

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
Hello people,
Yesterday i finished my new motorized bicycle...
Today i woke up excited to test it, buuuut, i found a problem, it never started!
Gas and oil gets down, so no problem. But i checked the spark and it doesnt have a spark, i tested 2 spark plugs, i have all the engine-cdi cables wired, white cable isolated. No kill-switch.
I tried without the spark cap, only the cable, NOTHING.
HELP ME PLEASE!

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
It's possible that the magneto coil is defective. It's also possible that you do not know how to properly test a spark plug (the threads of the spark plug should touch the engine for the spark to jump). If you have a multimeter, you could test both the CDI box and the magneto coil for ohms readings. If either of those is out of range or has no continuity then it's defective. Use the google search up there on the page to find the range of value in ohms to expect. If you do not have a multimeter then double check your connections, make sure no wire is touching the frame of the bike, open the magneto cover and look for visible damage (tiny wires sometimes snap in a visible manner at the beginning of the coil). In case of doubt, don't complicate things the whole electrical system is about 30$; you might aswell just order a new one. Good luck

Last edited:

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
What do you mean by "make sure to wire is touching the frame of the bike". What wire has to be touching the frame??
Thanks!

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
im not sure what he means,i dont have any wires touching the frame.
i think he means make sure the wires are not touching the frame of the bike.
anyways if your sure that the electric system is defective i would contact the seller for another one.(i actualy dont know how to test it to be honest other then seeing the spark.)

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hello people,
Yesterday i finished my new motorized bicycle...
Today i woke up excited to test it, buuuut, i found a problem, it never started!
Gas and oil gets down, so no problem. But i checked the spark and it doesnt have a spark, i tested 2 spark plugs, i have all the engine-cdi cables wired, white cable isolated. No kill-switch.
I tried without the spark cap, only the cable, NOTHING.
HELP ME PLEASE!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

jototojo

Apr 10, 2011
argentina
This is embarrasing.
I've dealed with motored bicycles for about 3 years.
And the problem was that i didnt put the carburator lever (sorry, idk the word im from argentina).
I thought that as it was really hot here i wouldnt need the lever thing. But after trying street by street, arriving to my house exhausted i thought, why dont i give a try to the carburator lever? On the first try it started. THANKS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS! I learned a lot of things today!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This is embarrasing.
I've dealed with motored bicycles for about 3 years.
And the problem was that i didnt put the carburator lever (sorry, idk the word im from argentina).
I thought that as it was really hot here i wouldnt need the lever thing. But after trying street by street, arriving to my house exhausted i thought, why dont i give a try to the carburator lever? On the first try it started. THANKS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS! I learned a lot of things today!
Don't feel bad. That little choke lever gives many people headaches. Once you get accustomed to it, it's not so bad.