I really can not figure out which motor to buy please give suggestions!!

GoldenMotor.com

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
:-|| This is my first build and I plan to purchase a manic mechanic hub adapter for this build. I want to have a cruising speed of about 35 mph(if that is even possible) i have emailed terry from blow by you and he seems like a good guy to buy from. Problem is that he only has what i believe to be a starfire 48cc and 58cc. He also has the zoom bike 48 and 80. Are any of these going to make me happy? Or should I buy from gasbike or kingmotorbikes and get the grubby gt5?

Thanks for the replies!!!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have had 4 motors, two 48cc and two 66cc. The ones they call 80cc are actually 66. I have never noticed any big difference between the 48 and the 66. I definitely don't recommend buying from gasbike or kingsmotorbikes, first of all they are the same company. Secondly, they have a bad habit of taking your money and not delivering your product. I am not the only person that has been burned by them. There are a couple things to consider about top speed. The first is the rider's weight. The more you weigh, the more it limits your speed. The second is gear ratio. The first thing to know about gear ratio is that any one gear ratio will either give you speed or torque, but not both. The faster you go, the less torque you will have. That is not necessarily a bad thing. If you live/travel in an area that is mostly flat, you don't need a lot of torque. You can also pedal up hills, that's what I do.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The other option is to buy a mountain bike, and install a shift kit. Since the shift kit allows the motor to use the bicycle's gears, the engine will have as many gears as the bicycle does. Then you will have the option of choosing different gears for better speed or better torque. But its all up to you.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
:-|| This is my first build and I plan to purchase a manic mechanic hub adapter for this build. I want to have a cruising speed of about 35 mph(if that is even possible) i have emailed terry from blow by you and he seems like a good guy to buy from. Problem is that he only has what i believe to be a starfire 48cc and 58cc. He also has the zoom bike 48 and 80. Are any of these going to make me happy? Or should I buy from gasbike or kingmotorbikes and get the grubby gt5?

Thanks for the replies!!!
Of these choices I'd go with the ZB 48 or 80. I have a ZB 48 that I like very much, and it has a top speed of 30 mph with a 40T, but about 25 mph would be a realistic cruising speed for my bike. I weigh over 200, but my bike has good hill climbing ability. A 48 will vibrate a little less than a 80.

If you want to try to maintain 35 mph you'll need a 36T sprocket, and hill climbing ability will be reduced.

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
my next build i am ordering a 48 cc kit to go on a clunker bike i have laying around , i figure a sprocket adapter and a expansion pipe is the best upgrade money spent , but yes buy from a reputable dealer like thats Dax , blow by u and i have heard piston bikes is good as well ... all the kits come from china i doubt there is a real big difference in quality ....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have 2 good running BGF 66cc's right now that will both hit well over 30MPH and with a 36T sprocket like biknut mentioned you can expect 30-32MPH cruise speed if you do some other mods like SBP expansion chamber, better plug and better plug wire with a very well tuned carb. if you are in the 205# or less weight class, I weight about 203# at last weight in and I can cruise all day at 30-32 with my 36T sprocketed Karaoke bike and it tops out @ 41MPH on the flat with NO! (zero) head wind, the manic ported intake is a great addition also.

I have anothe BGF 66cc that will hit 35-36mph on the flat ground with NO! head wind and it is also completely stock except for the NGK plug, it's on a mountain bike that has a 41T sprocket and it cruises nice @ 26-28mph, it would do a nice 30MPH cruise also but this engine just has too much vibration for it to be comfortable at that speed with the 41T sprocket, this engine also has over 1,200 miles on it now and still runs like a champ.

these engine as you will find by doing some reading are a crap shoot no matter where you buy them and every one of them needs some mods to be at all dependable, including better mounting studs, better carb gasket, better spark plug ( NGK B6HS ) take the head nuts off and add a extra flat washer and then retorque head, and for sure the best speed and torque increase you can do right off the bat is a better exhaust, the cat-mufflers that come with most of these kits are so restrictive that they dont pull good at all above about 25-27MPH from my experience, and just an exhaust change and a good tune on the carb. after about 150miles of breaking time will have you in the 35 MPH range easy with a 41T or 44T sprocket, but RPM's will be way high so I suggest the 36T if you aren't in an area that has loads of steep hills you have to climb all the time.

Plenty of us guys on here that will jump in and help you out with all the info. you need to get your engine going good if you have the mechanical ability to do the mods and the tools to do them, if not I would suggest you stay awauy from the China Girls (HT's ) and consider a EZ motrobike set up or a simple friction drive set up from Thats Dax or something down those lines.

These China Girls are great fun if you have the ability too & like to tinker on them, because that is a never ending part of this HT engine hobby...........in my experience.

I do have great success so far with the mountain bike and have not had to put a wrench on that bike in months......but I dont ride it everyday either and if I did I'm sure I would have to piddle with it a bit more.

If you do go with the China Girl engine kit just remember to mount it correctly and upgrede the rear studs..........with a higher grade and DON"Tuse any rubber or anything under the mounts, get them mounted solid and secure to the bike frame or you will have trouble, especially the rear mount, it takes a beating and must be very secure, and then on the front it needs to just be solid so it cant slip or move side to side and the bike you use will determine what route you will need to go with he front mount, different frames require different mounting mods for the front so be aware of this also.

Best wishes on whatever you do.......and stay tuned in here for all the help & advice you will need to know on what you should do in the questionable areas you may face on the mounting issue and the tuning.

Peace

Last edited:

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
thanks mapbike u have been a big help. my soon to be father in law is a machinist and welder, he has a lot of history with dirtbikes as well. With the right info he will be able to build a great bike at my budget. my first upgrade is going to a manic mechanic hub adapter.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks mapbike u have been a big help. my soon to be father in law is a machinist and welder, he has a lot of history with dirtbikes as well. With the right info he will be able to build a great bike at my budget. my first upgrade is going to a manic mechanic hub adapter.
Get the intake while your at it too.......so much better than the stock ones.

And best wishes on the build jtgolden,

What a great way to form an even closer bond with the Father-in-Law because as you probably already know besides you he is your sweethearts biggest fan....!

I hope you guys have a great time with the build and be sure not to forget us here and keep us updated with pics of the progress you're making on it if you can.

Peace