Tips for the newer members

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Tip* Do not drink 6 shots of Drambuie, chase them with 6 Guinness and then jump a freight train, while in the Marine Corp, 1st Sgt’s are not as understanding as you night think."

LOL, They never are Dan. Or my version; "That bunk was on fire when I climbed in" (long story and I turn out looking dumb) But was funny.

Cracked me up Dan, 2 funny.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I noticed this morning that even some of the older members could learn at least one thing.

ParagraphS Please notice there is an "S" on the end of that big bold word, ParagraphS. That means NOT just one big long paragraph. I'm not going to name any names but some folks can't seem to remember what they were supposed to have learned in grade school. Separating thoughts into different paragraphs makes what you are writing MUCH easier to read and understand.

There are some folks that are so bad about this, I simply am incapable of reading their post easily. To the folks that, for what ever reason, don't separate your thoughts into multiple paragraphs, I will no longer even attempt to read your post.

This does concern me a little bit. There are a couple of people that I believe know what they are talking about when they do post. I will miss seeing what they are up to and the advice they give but it is not worth me getting a headache because they forgot simple grammar rules.

I'm going to send the editor in me back to his hole now before I get started on some of my other pet peeves.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'm guessing the search function here is crap like every other forum. I would say anytime you need to search use google with motorized bicycle and what ever you have to search for.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I'm guessing the search function here is crap like every other forum. I would say anytime you need to search use google with motorized bicycle and what ever you have to search for.
The search function here IS a google search. And you can use it just like you would at google. Why go to google to search when you've got a google search right here?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
One tip that I would like to suggest:

If you find the answer or solution to your problem or question, please post that you have done so, so that the thread can have some sort of closure.

Don't fall off the face of the earth, never to be heard from again, and the other members in the forum are wondering what happened to you, and if you ever did get your problem solved.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well I obviously didn't know that. That is why I WOULD use google search+ name of whatever forum.
Good to know though.

Theo search function here IS a google search.
And you can use it just like you would at google. Why go to google to search when you've got a google search right here?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Every day I go to the "introduce yourself" section to be sure every one gets a welcome. I noticed a bunch of folks get few if any responses if rather then introducing them selves, they ask a question. Just a suggestion, introduce your self and say you have a question. Then post it in the section it fits into. Most especially if it is a common or complicated issue, folks will skip your intro.

99.9% of the time, it will have already been asked and you will prolly find it there any way. Just don't want any one feeling ignored or unwelcomed.

Some great folks here who enjoy helping and sharing their experiences.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Dan,
Can you imagine if you walked into an auto parts store and asked for an air cleaner? What's the first question the counter man is going to ask?
Tom
Do you want the most expensive one I sell or the next to most expensive one? Did I mention we don't take returns?LOL

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Have to say I hate people that post in all CAPS (dont yell at us), or use obnoxiously large fonts or refuse to even try to use paragraphs and make us try to read some huge wall of text.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
MUDDYBIKE

IHAVE TO AGREE WIT YOUICANT STAN IT ITHER WHENPEOPLE TIPE IN ALL CAPS AN SPEL STUFF RONG AN DONT USE PERIODS AN JUS KEEP RUNNIG SETANCCES TOGATHER iT IS ANNOYIANG

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Tip: You can save other peoples thumbnail pictures into your own files- once you bring them up- click on the photo again- it puts it on it's own page-

then you can use your toolbar at the top to save it to your own picture files-

if you want- I have a few.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Dan,
Can you imagine if you walked into an auto parts store and asked for an air cleaner? What's the first question the counter man is going to ask?
Tom
He's going to ask "you mean the little green thing that's shaped like a tree?"

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Glossary of frequently used abbreviations on motorbicycling.com
Internet Slang Dictionary & Translator
Check spelling with tinySpell: a tiny portable free spell checker
More search help : Google search basics - Web Search Help

Some handy links :)

edit: oh right lol, forgot the most important tip - if you feel harassed and/or dealing w/someone who's jus' being harshly argumentative, send them a PM (private message) instead as it's amazing how often it's something than can be worked out w/o an audience of thousands...

If they're particularly rude, don't even bother trying to reply as you're jus' "feeding the troll" - the staff has yer back, just report them (PM, thread or post) by clicking this icon found in the upper right hand corner of the post in question
- which will send the quoted text w/yer comment to all staff simultaneously... and it really does "help us to help you" ;)

Last edited: