line filter question

GoldenMotor.com

mrmpg91

Mar 12, 2011
FLorida
hello, i was wondering were in the gas line would be the best place to place the filter, if it matters. and also which direction to place the filter.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I would say wherever in the line it works best for mounting. It should have a little arrow on the filter for fuel direction, and if not, the flatter side that looks like a cap goes towards the carb. Also, I recommend using a high-quality filter. I used a snowmobile in-line filter.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
If it's the flat disk kind it really doesn't matter, if there's an arrow then follow directions. If you have a paper element and if there's no arrow the fuel should flow from the outside of the element to the inside. This gives maximum area for sediments to fall out and be caught in the bottom of the filter without clogging the filter.

With a inline filter don't use the intank one on the valve, very low quality, very small surface area and redundant with an inline filter.

The copper tank I'm building is getting a glass sediment filter ment for a Massey-Fergeson tractor :)

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I love the sintered bronze filters. Mainly because they are strong enough that I can take em out and blow em out with an air hose. (Might not get the fine stuff out, but sure gets the larger debrie out)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And don't make the mistake that a few have done: The arrow doesn't mean "up". It indicates the direction of flow.
I prefer the clear type so you can see how much sediment is in the filter. Any place that sells lawn mower, motorcycle or small engine parts can supply you with a good quality in-line fuel filter.
Tom