The best saddle clamp ?

GoldenMotor.com

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I am constantly stripping out saddle clamps , breaking the bolt , etc. I have a feeling people are gonna reply " YOUR OVER TIGHTENING THEM !!!" but I dont , at first I just snug them up then eventually they get loose , tighten alittle more , loose after a couple days. SNAP or stripped.

So the question : Who makes a saddle clamp thats nearly indestructible or what am I doing wrong ?

Im talking about these buggers here :

:D

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Is it possible your seat post is the problem? I know I have one that was over tightened one time and now it's out of round and I had the same problem with the seat clamp. I replaced the seat post and that fixed my problem with it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is the clamp breaking or just the bolt? You could consider replacing the stock fastener with a better grade of steel. Or, I agree with David. If the seat tube is squished and out of round then that might be your problem. No offence meant but how much do you weigh? This is not really a common problem that we hear much about.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a lot of newer seats have really junky clamps. i bought a hairpin replica leather saddle, tightened it, sat on it, and wheelied back off the bike.

and i weigh 135lbs.

the best thing to do is find an old beat-up seat from the 70's, like a plastic bmx seat and steal the clamp offa that.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
That's what I have for my saddle; basic yeah? Well... So far so good. I guess you had some bad luck... Or I haven't checked mine yet... Though they feel fine when I ride and lift the bike... LOL

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm siding with Dave on this one... If the seat post is the wrong size, the clamp could be 'bottoming out' on itself before it gets tight enough to hold the seat. Check it.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Thanks for the replies. Im only 150lbs fully clothed with my boots on :D

I think its because all the clamps Ive had are just cheapo's off Huffy's , Hairpin replica's. Ive gotten a new one off ebay that seems pretty decent , just wanted to get some thoughts before I bolted it on. Last attempt before one gets permanent with welder.

bairdco , I have the same seat as you , the leather hairpin replica. Curious if you replaced the stock double rail clamp with a single rail clamp ?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
didja buy it from me? :)

the seat i had is from a company called "rideable replicas" in alameda california. (Rideable Bicycle Replicas

it's only 29.95 plus shipping. that's how much i sold it for on ebay.

it's made in India, and in my opinion, it's a piece of garbage. the front where the spring clips in doesn't fit right, and i had to grind it down to stop it from popping apart. when this happens, the seat opens up like a stapler, and if you happen to be riding at the time... well... you can guess what'll happen.

the seat clamp itself was a real piece of work. it doesn't fit the seat well, and after tightening it, sitting on it and slipping, the knurls were already stripped on it. i used a clamp from an old troxel seat i had that was the same design.

it was on my buddy's bike for one day, then i sold it.

i had another hairpin, a "Special Gents" seat, which was made in Japan around the 60's for their 3 speed, Raleigh-style/Mormon cruisers and it was a pretty nice seat. didn't have any problems with the clamp on that one. that's the seat on my black and copper bike (my avatar.)