Celebrating Road bicycles, sports/racing leagues, pelotons, and of course, spandex

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I have mostly been into mountain biking the last 5 years, but I have enjoyed road cycling since my high school years.

This last year, I built a motor bicycle beach cruiser to drive to work, and got most of my information from this website, and fellow site motoredbikes.
I am really dismayed by the "spandex haters" on this site, esp the ones who advocate cager behavior such as honking, spitting, assaulting or threatening vehicular homicide. related thread http://motorbicycling.com/f28/bicycle-shops-hate-us-11759-11.html#post247118

Even if you think you are so cool for not participating in or supporting a great European American sport and a large community of friendly and athletic people, you don't have to be a part of the problem (non cyclists trying to use their political clout to squeeze us out, figuratively and literally, on the roads)

Like it or not, mb riders are generally classed in with pedal cyclists by motorists, police, and legislators, and probably with the same derision among many of them, that the most rude mb riders here express for "spandexers".

Lycra and spandex shorts are actually pretty comfortable, and serve a time-proven function of reducing wind resistance, reducing leg cramps, and increasing cycling comfort.

For the last 5 years I've been hairy as sasquatch, riding in cutoffs and t-shirts, and having a good time on my mountain bikes. But I have ridden those in lycra shorts and SPD shoes as well, and miss having the money for all that gear.

I plan to get back into road riding this year for some charity rides I have missed.

For those who don't get it, riders shave their legs for several calculating reasons.
1. It makes putting suntan creams and embrocating lotions on much easier.
2. It makes sports therapy and massage easier.
3. It makes cleaning off sweat and road grime easier.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Re: Celebrating Road bicycles, sports/racing leagues, pelotons, and of course, spande

I trained with a roadie group to get ready for the MS150 a few years back. Most of them were great but there are always a few purists (to put it politely) that take some fun out of it. The purists are as rude to their fellow roadies as they are to motorized bikers. Every group has their zealots, unfortunately.
We shouldn't expect approval from everybody when riding motorized bikes. We ride these things because WE like them.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Re: Celebrating Road bicycles, sports/racing leagues, pelotons, and of course, spande

Fmdwaw....

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Ok, thanks. I like the internet abbreviations for a lot of things, but that one had me going. I expected some interesting colloquialism to be the explanation.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH

Ok, thanks. I like the internet abbreviations for a lot of things, but that one had me going. I expected some interesting colloquialism to be the explanation.
google is our friend, and he doesn't seem to interested in a watch :)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Since it starts with an "f", he probably will not be able to spell it out on the forum.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

google is our friend, and he doesn't seem to interested in a watch :)
Ya know, that's just a smart alec comment even with the smilie face. I went to google and found NO info about those letters. The first, and ONLY, hit on google is this very thread, which would indicate that this thread is the FIRST, and ONLY, time those letters have been used in this particular order.

So, if you're not really a smart alec please provide an explanation or a link to YOUR google search with informative results or you will just be seen as a smart slec who can't contribute anything relevant to a thread.

And here's my smilie face to make this post seem like it's not so harsh :)

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH

Ya know, that's just a smart alec comment even with the smilie face. I went to google and found NO info about those letters. The first, and ONLY, hit on google is this very thread, which would indicate that this thread is the FIRST, and ONLY, time those letters have been used in this particular order.

So, if you're not really a smart alec please provide an explanation or a link to YOUR google search with informative results or you will just be seen as a smart slec who can't contribute anything relevant to a thread.

And here's my smilie face to make this post seem like it's not so harsh :)
pwnt? Fmdwaw - Google Search

now who looks like the dick? :)

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

Like I said in my earlier post, the ONLY hit on google with those exact letters in that order was this thread.

Which means you really DON'T know wtf you're talking about and are just trying to look like you know something. The link you provided does not even have ANY hits with that exact letter combo. Maybe you should actually check the link you provide.

I was not trying to be a smartass, I was just pointing out that your post was NOT any help with the question at hand, which was, what does that specific letter combo mean? Not does google provide a similar combo and the meanings for them, but what do those specific letters in that specific post mean.

Now who was pwnt?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

What is about the OP's subject matter that seems to bring out the worst in people?
Why is that we can't have a civil discussion about roadies/pedal bikers or any other form of transportation here that doesn't turn into a flame war?

We'll let this thread continue because we're not prudish old curmudgens but if it gets out of hand with insults and attacks, it'll be deleted. Sorry guys but some of you bring these things on yourself. If your opinions differ so greatly from someone elses, why not just ignore a thread that you know will provoke hostilities and go read something of value to yourself ?

As for posting about subject matter that you know is provocative and will incite controversy...why do it? Aren't there enough issues with getting a bike running and keeping it running right to keep this forum interesting? And isn't that why we're here to begin with? Motorbicycling.com was formed to advance the sport/hobby of motorized bicycles; not to have a place to argue and insult other people, with the anonymity so easily had using the Internet. It makes me wonder what behavior I'd see if we were all together in a room having a discussion.

I will not attach a smiley face because I'm not smiling. I am just a little frustrated with grown men who can sometimes act like children.
Lighten up.

Tom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.