Bikes without front suspension?

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
So I've finished painting an old bike frame, and I was going to put my forks on it, then noticed that the head on the frame I painted was 1", where as the one I was trying to use was 1" 1/2 I think. I still have the original forks for the bike, however they don't have suspension. Do these bikes works alright without suspension?

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
this is no doubt a subjective question, but i went out of my way to use a frame that would accept a front suspension fork. (EDIT- er, i should have said that i modified the frame i already had to accept a different front fork...) i've only ridden one mile so far, but i am glad that i did it.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mind Reader,
I would guess that the majority of members here ride bikes with a rigid front end. Typically you'll find that the mountain bike, or 'V' frame road bikes will ride a little stiffer than the cruisers, mostly due to the tires. Cruisers have fatter and softer rubber between you and the road where the MTBs and road bikes have skinny tires that run higher pressure. I have one road bike that I installed a springer fork on but it still rides harder than my two cruisers that do not have suspension forks. Another consideration is handlebar design. The short stubby bars on many mountain and road bikes tend to dictate that the rider lean on them thereby absorbing more shock than wide cruiser bars that allow for a more natural sitting position that doesn't require so much arm and shoulder stress. Add a lay back seat post and the cruisers are far more comfortable than the other style frames.
Tom

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If you really wanted a front suspension for your old bike, keep in mind that some of those old bikes had front suspension. The best known are Schwinn and Monark. Old ones come up for sale now and then and reproductions are commonly available. How good the new ones are is a question worth asking. Old ones were pretty well made, worked and you can still get parts for them. If you research "springer forks" you'll find some information. I have had a number of motored cruisers without any suspension and now have one with and I do like the suspension forks on rough roads. Tom is right on about the fatter tires and riding position... nice on a cruiser. Try it without and if you don't like it, investigate the old ones.
SB

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
One Inch shock forks for cruisers can be hard to track down, but they are available- I got mine from some low-rider outfit on e-bay.

It adds a little more weight, but it really rides great!

But a word to the wise- the head tube must be the correct length- longer ones can be cut down if threaded far enough, but a shorter one will not work at all-

also 1 inch and 1 1/8 inch headsets and forks are not interchangeable- the bike's frame tube is also different

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I started life with a cruiser and electric hub. I knew I had a problem the first time I hit the pothole and all my groceries flew outa my front basket. I installed a ROCKSHOX suspension fork, which was the best addition to my bike. I also installed a seat suspension post, which helped also.

Now I ride a Diamondback bike with stock suspension fork, 4.2hp engine and shift kit. Even though I never ride offroad, I NEED that suspension fork for my style of riding.

My riding buddies and I reach speeds over 35mph. We all have suspension forks for ride quality.xct2

My next project is a 29" bike with fat tires, 4.5hp, shift kit and yes, ROCKSHOX suspension fork.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I got 5 sets of down hill forks. None off them are for stunt work I use them all on the street. A stiff front fork does work better with a bigger tire [poor mans sus].