replacement engine hardware

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I can find plenty of socket head screws the correct diameters, pitch and length for my chinese motors, but the 10mm head diameter of the 6mm bolts are too large. I mostly looked in the McMaster--Carr catalog. I was ready to buy packs of 100 until I saw the problem. I looked for threads addressing this topic, but came of empty. Maybe some of you know a vendor that sells hardware sets. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, my grubee GT4 and my GT5 use different bolts. i've had 3 GT4's so i stocked up on hardware.

there's a place called McFadden-Dale Hardware in santa ana, near edinger and the 55...

they have other socal locations, too. Anaheim, Corona...

they have everything. i just take all the bolts with me and match them up. super cheap, too. like 10 cents a bolt.

they also have tools, paint, heat shrink, wire, plumbing stuff,...

it's like the disneyland of hardware stores, but cheaper.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I forgot about McFaddendale. I've been there a few times. I just ordered 100 each of 5 different sizes from McMaster-Carr to be delivered at work tomorrow. I'll have enough for a few motors. I can turn the heads down on a lathe if I have to. Thanks for the input.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
A couple of rotations of the socket head screws head on the grinding wheel of a bench grinder or hand held 4" - 4 1/2" disc grinder and the size will be just right, this is how I fitted all of mine on my engines, some unground bolts fit fine and others were too big, the grinding is just slight and they will work great, if you want them black or silver again grind them, and then spray them with a shot of brake cleaner then just shoot a coat of the color spray paint you wish and BAM.......!

I didn't paint mine because the ground part is hidden after they are installed, but one could if they wish of coarse.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah, I just got my bolt order in and tried one and I will have to use my belt sander on a few. Semi-flat black should get them back to stock looking. Thanks.