Throttle problem

GoldenMotor.com

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
I have had my motorized bicycle for about three months now and just encountered a new problem. Suddenly my throttle cable will not stay attached to the carburetor. When I reattach it, which is difficult because the cable seems to short, it has the thing running 3/4 full speed. I must admit that I had a low speed crash the other day but I cannot find any kinks in the throttle cable or anything else that seems to have anything to do with that operation. I took the throttle handlebar piece apart earlier and nothing seemed amiss. But I am now wondering if there is supposed to be a spring in the throttle handle that might have been knocked loose and I missed it. I wonder about this because the throttle twist feels a little different. Any help?

Also, I have searched around on this site and have not been able to find anything that helps. Maybe I missed something.

Thanks.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
There's a "stop" at the end of the cable (for lack of a better term, I don't know really what else to call it). Is that what's coming loose from the carburettor? Or is the whole cable coming loose? Can you describe in more detail? Maybe it's an easy fix.

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
There's a "stop" at the end of the cable (for lack of a better term, I don't know really what else to call it). Is that what's coming loose from the carburettor? Or is the whole cable coming loose? Can you describe in more detail? Maybe it's an easy fix.
It is not the "stop" that is still there and I am putting it into the slot the proper way so it seats itself. It just seems that the cable has become to short. I just got back from a ride and it was 10-15 mph without any twist on the throttle. It feels to me that there is something missing in the throttle twist on the handelbar. When I turn it forward to what should be idle, it still goes. Also, yesterday when I turned the throttle, it felt like something snapped becuase there was a certain resistance and return that was not there. But, as I said, I took the twist throttle apart and everyting seemed to be in order, i.e., the cable was still attached where it should be (but I have never taken it apart before).

Thanks for thinking about this with me.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
It sounds like the cable routing got changed in the minor crash. If it was routed under the tank it may be hung up and is lifting the slide at the carb. Another thing this happened with mine. The whole top of the carb unscrewed running the bike at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
sometimes my throtthle cable housing on either end will come loose out of the ajustment tensioners you k9now the parts that the housing slide3s into) and the throttle will stick but i think this is mainly do to the fact i have a brake lver as a throttle rather than the original twist grip mine broke will about twenty miles from home

a little trick just incase your throttle may break far from home reach down were the cable comes out of carburater and pull the cable manualy im not saying its a safe thing to do steering a bike with one hand trying to work a clucth and brake or whatever but if you got to get home do what you got to do

i recomend upgrading to a better throttle assembly but thats just me i find my brake lever to be better than the twist grip to me it seems safer

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,it sounds to me like your throttle handle is by passing the stop on the throttle housing.if you can turn your handle forwards and it keeps going past the idle position.Here's how I fix that problem.
The first pic is the location for drilling.
the second is a 3/32nd drill bit.Drill straight down 3/4"
The third is a 3/4"long 3/32nd tension pin.
4th is tension pin installed.
5th is throttle handle located as it rides in throttle housing.Good luck,Kip

Attachments

Last edited:

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
Hi,it sounds to me like your throttle handle is by passing the stop on the throttle housing.if you can turn your handle forwards and it keeps going past the idle position.Here's how I fix that problem.
The first pic is the location for drilling.
the second is a 3/32nd drill bit.Drill straight down 3/4"
The third is a 3/4"long 3/32nd tension pin.
4th is tension pin installed.
5th is throttle handle located as it rides in throttle housing.Good luck,Kip
I think that you are correct. It seems to me that the throttle handle is passing by the stop when I twist it forward. I took the throttle handle apart again and found a kink and then noticed that it seemed to be passing what should be the stop point when twisting forward. I fixed the kink and then reattached everthing. It now seems that as long as I am gentle when pushing the twist trottle forward everything is ok.

You, however, have given me another project for my bike and I will hopefully get to that upgrade when the weather frowns upon my riding.

Thanks.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I'll give it to you anyway. Get two zipties. With the throttle where you want idle, take a ziptie and tighten it against the cable where it goes into the silver tube. Take the dangling end of that ziptie and ziptie it to the silver tube. This fixes the cable so it doesnt pop out. I did this on mine, but used a much maligned substance to hold the ziptie in place more permanently. My bike is no beauty, but no recurring problems.

If I misunderstand your particular throttle problem, then disregard.

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
I'll give it to you anyway. Get two zipties. With the throttle where you want idle, take a ziptie and tighten it against the cable where it goes into the silver tube. Take the dangling end of that ziptie and ziptie it to the silver tube. This fixes the cable so it doesnt pop out. I did this on mine, but used a much maligned substance to hold the ziptie in place more permanently. My bike is no beauty, but no recurring problems.

If I misunderstand your particular throttle problem, then disregard.
I think I have it fixed for now but I like the way you think.