In-frame tank for cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I would like to find out how workable and cost-effective it is to put an in-frame tank in that upside-down-triangular space on my Micargi Huntington cruiser. If anyone out there knows a few welding artists who do custom in-frame tanks of this kind, I would be most grateful if you could reply to this post. So far, I've had no takers and no bites. I haven't yet learned to weld or braze, I'm hoping to find a pro who's willing, and willing to offer an estimate. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There are some talented members that may be able to help you out, but it's not going to be particulary inexpensive as it's terribly time consuming and that only gets more so if it's a "one off" - a tank shape they've not made before. While it's well worth what they charge, if it's out of your comfortable price range you can reduce the cost with some of your own labor.

While it does take a bit of time, it's not particularly difficult to cut, form & fit your own tank panels & fittings, then bring it to your local welder to be TIG welded or even brazed. So long as all your seams are flush and they've skill - it's a pretty quick and easy task for them, and that means savings for you heh

Here's a basic intro;

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/diy-tank-even-if-you-cant-17323.html