Installing chain?

GoldenMotor.com

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
I need to figure out how to put my chain on.

I've watched this video here Panofish Blog Motorized Bicycle – Part 2 and he shows how to punch out the chain piece and remove links. I don't have the chain punch he has but I tried it with a nail and couldn't get it punched out. Am I missing something? I didn't try too terribly hard (didn't want to break it) but it feels like it should have punched it with my force. Just have to give it some elbow grease?

I have the grubee skyhawk gt5 66/80 cc kit, if it matters. The chain that came with it looks a bit bigger than my bike chain.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Why not use a chain removal tool? They're pretty cheap. Or ask around and borrow one from a friend. They're pretty common in toolboxes.

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
I have an angle grinder. I don't have a dremel. Why?

Thanks for the help so far.
I use a bench grinder
But a angle grinder does the same thing

All you do is cut the tip ends off
Then get a flat srew driver tap between link then it just pops off
Or pliers

Hope this make sense This is just what i do:-||

JTinFL

Feb 4, 2010
Port Charlotte,Florida
As earlier said use a bench grinder.Take chain at the link that's needed to be taken out.Fold chain to where the rivet is sticking out.Then grind the head of the rivet flat using the side of the grinder wheel.You can take a pair of needle nose pliers and open wide enough to lay the link on top.And then take a nail or or whatever will fit to drive out the rivet you just ground flat.I've found if you grind both sides of that rivet flat,it will come out easier.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I used a vise and a nail punch (you could probably use a nail too if it's thick enough). No grinding required =D