Slick vs Semi-Slick

GoldenMotor.com

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i think the hello kitty tire is by far the best all season tire out there , the tire has a smoother body and a specialy designed bow to pinch the pavement , the wiskers are specialy designed to disperse hair balls at hi and low speeds . and by wrapping around the sidewall kitty,s chin results in fast ultra low cornering abillity

Attachments

Dylan Filkohazi

Jan 1, 2010
Montclair,NJ
o.k so i really want a bicycle with a motor and im a newbie so i have some Questions for the people who commented

1. do u have to pedal before starting the engine can u just turn it on then ride off?
2.Where can u find all black drag slick bicycle tires
3.Where can u find a all black 80 cc engine for under $150.00
4.I want nos so how many cc's of boost should i get under 150cc?

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Dylan, in response to your questions:

1. The only way I know of to start these HT motors without pedalling them is to buy a pull-starter (look at the various sponsor websites on the left or right-hand sides of your screen, or else check Ebay). Without a pull-starter, yes - you have to pedal to start these engines.

2. Check out these websites for some inexpensive tire sourcing answers: -- Bicycles, Bike parts, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Road Bikes, Haro Bikes, KHS Bikes, Felt Bikes at Niagara Cycle Works, Performance Bicycle - Bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more. There are probably lots of others too - just use a search engine.

3. All-black engine kits come in a variety of packages on several of the sponsors' websites. Click on them and look around.

4. An easy (everything included) source of nitrous kits is Pirate Cycles' website (again, they're a sponsor here). As far as your "under 150cc" engine concern - be aware that most of the bicycle-adaptable engines you'll find are far under 150cc... in fact, that amount of displacement would categorize you as a motorcycle in pretty much every state, with all the accompanying legal hoopla.

Good luck with your build!!

Dylan Filkohazi

Jan 1, 2010
Montclair,NJ
and if im getting a stock beach crusier then putting a engine kit on... will there be a problem with the coaster brakes wouldent the pedals move with the bike?

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Dylan, besides the bike itself, so the only other thing that cost me was the engine kit - which came out to around $150 I think. The kit had everything I needed in it to start, but it's like any hobby - you can eventually end up spending way more on it than you'd like to admit :)

Anyway, you'll no problem at all with that stock coaster brake - coaster brakes all have freewheels inside them that will let your rear wheel spin without engaging your right-side chain. So for example your feet can stay flat on the pedals while you roll down a hill. Same thing happens when the engine is driving the bike, you don't have to spin the pedals.

And as far as stopping, your coaster brakes will function like as normal after you add an engine - you just pedal in reverse, and the brake engages.

Good luck and have fun!!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I like the conti type tires better. I am currently using Swiss Army inverted tread tires, similar to the Nashbar Elevator. I've used "slick" treads before on the same bike. The Geaux and similar tires with cutout delta shaped sipes or patterns seem to do ok.

I had some Tioga City Slickers gumwall 26x1.5 road tires which had a recessed portion all the way around the center of the tread. The rest was slick with little arrow shaped notches for water clearance. They were great for wet traction but still slung water up the back on this bike, because the frame didn't block it, and the mb goes faster!

I have made my own MB rear fenders before out of corrugated plastic (see my page happycheapskate on motoredbikes.com for pics).

If all you ever ride is road and never ride through any mud or gravelly areas, go with the slicks.

But the heavy duty Continental inverted treads will get you out of mud and deep puddles, hardpack dirt trails, and snow a lot better.

From experience on road bicycles, I would say that narrow file tread tires are best for snow! But you need something besides rim brakes or you will be in a world of hurt.

Rally car racers use very narrow tires for snow racing. Some 4x4 mud vehicles use tall narrow tractor type tires instead of giant mud boggers and do very well.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Dylan,I was wondering if you were having any dificulty gitting the intake w/the three holes on that engine too fit the bike frame?lol