speed? choke? clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

garynuman

May 13, 2008
so i've got a couple concerns. i just got a sweet speedometer from kingsmotorbikes.com. after installation i was surprised to find that my top speed on a level surface is only 20mph. downhill i can barely get 28mph. i feel like i was able to get to higher speeds before the speedometer though i have no way of knowing for sure. i'm not even sure what size the engine is, as i bought the bike preassembled on craigslist. though i imagine its probably 50cc.
is there something i can do to increase speed?

next question. now i dont know too much about the whole choke thing, but i do know that i start out with it open and then move it lean as it warms up. from whati understand i should be able to have the choke all the lean at some point. but the only way my bike will start is if the choke is full and the further lean i move it, the slower my speeds are, whats more is if i move it all the way up the engine will certainly kill. this concerns me, it just doesnt seem right.

lastly i started a thread awhile ago about my dragging clutch. i had opened up the engine and adjusted the clutch and was working perfectly. now it seems like its dragging again. hmmm?

i know i probably should have made separate threads for these, but i figured since they were all related to my speed pretty much i would put all here. hope someone has some answers, and i know you will. thanks

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Are you still breaking it in? What is the gas/oil mix ratio? What size sprocket, and bike is it? Need more info.....Up is choked down is open. When you move it up it should kill the engine, that meens you dont have any air leaks...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
so i've got a couple concerns......
is there something i can do to increase speed?

Yes, make sure you have you needle clip in the right position, open up the exhaust/gasket/flange with a dremel tool, and add a 36T sprocket.

next question. now i dont know too much about the whole choke thing, but i do know that i start out with it open and then move it lean as it warms up. from whati understand i should be able to have the choke all the lean at some point. but the only way my bike will start is if the choke is full and the further lean i move it, the slower my speeds are, whats more is if i move it all the way up the engine will certainly kill. this concerns me, it just doesnt seem right.

The choke is open (off) when all the way down. If you have to have it part way up for regular running (after 5 minutes) then you have an air leak, fix it or it will burn up your engine.

lastly i started a thread awhile ago about my dragging clutch. i had opened up the engine and adjusted the clutch and was working perfectly. now it seems like its dragging again. hmmm?

Do you mean it drags while pulled in? That's a minor cable adjustment.

i know i probably should have made separate threads for these, but i figured since they were all related to my speed pretty much i would put all here. hope someone has some answers, and i know you will. thanks
........................................................................................................