Too hot to ride?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
96.6 here with a heat index of 106
Supposed to get up to 100 today and tomorrow. Heat indexes should top 110.
I always smile at 'indexes' and can relate to them during monsoon when the dew point is over 55F and high humidity but no index's with today, it's peak time right now (4PM) and back here in the shop to let the desert cat out, by desert cat I mean he finds the hottest place in the house to nap all the time.

Anyway I put him out and he ran once he felt the heat to the shaded side wall, dug a hole like a gopher, took a big dump and then covered it back up, then sprinted back to the door all in about 90 seconds.
'Good kitty' hehehe.

No kidding guys it really is brutal today, I went out to get the mail and burned my hand on the mailbox and forget BBQ for dinner tonight even though with an oven mitt I could open the grills lit and cook without even lighting it, just walking outside makes even the most seasoned of us sick.
Thanks you good AC here but I imagine tomorrows news will make national news again with a few people dropping over dead here today.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday I rode 13 miles to school. My thermometer on my speedo said it was a light weight 102 degrees. I know that's just barely warm, but the summer's just getting started.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I don't ride in that crap either. I do outside stuff in the AM, hide inside in the PM with the AC on. Gonna be over a hundred for the next 4 days here.

Gonna be a hot firecracker 4th of July.

Got watermellon?

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
That terrible for you guys just terrible . Tomorrow's forecast for St Louis is 74 degrees . Camping weather . I might have to take my Iridum 10 out and put my 8 back in . Terrible just terrible lol

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
Lol. This is my weather. I live in Scottsdale (same temps as KC posted) and I don't even break a sweat riding to work. I can't stand anything below 80 degrees or I need a jacket. When winter comes and it's 50 degrees I'm wearing friggin long johns under everything.

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
However I do have to add that I still can't stand driving a car in the heat. Our cars here reach 130 degrees + on the inside. You have to drive with oven mitts.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I usually go riding when the weather gets temperate in the late afternoon, although I think the rich a/f ratio for the hot air temp helps somewhat to cool the four strokes, even if they don't rip as hard as they might on a cold day leaned out. I was messing with the top end A/F screw adjustment on the pumper carb on the BMX the other day, and it was four stroking this hot afternoon, so the air temp definitely has a huge impact on the fuel usage in the motor, and whether its burning completely, if its not the motor will be cooled somewhat by the gas, but the exp chamber might get a lot hotter because it auto-ignites in there if you're four stroking.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Lol. This is my weather. I live in Scottsdale (same temps as KC posted) and I don't even break a sweat riding to work. I can't stand anything below 80 degrees or I need a jacket. When winter comes and it's 50 degrees I'm wearing friggin long johns under everything.
I understand. A couple years ago we had a heat wave where it was 100 plus for weeks, and 100 degrees at midnight.

After about 6 weeks a cold front came through, and it got down into the mid 90s. I felt like I might need a sweater.

Targan

Jun 22, 2013
Scottsdale
SO my bike decided it wasn't going to run today... halfway to work. I had to pedal my ass 4 miles in 120 degrees. NOT FUN. It kept jerking violently and wouldn't stay running for more than 30 seconds. Gotta investigate it when I get off work.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Even as a Desert Rat I can admit it was uncomfortable yesterday. Even last night at the races it was pretty bad. I know one driver went to the hospital for heat exhaustion. Those nomex suits don't breath very well.

I was smart enough to take me a tub of lemon Eegee's to help keep the crew cool.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
me, I am masochistic,,,
yesterday afternoon, I did a nice ride from FH to Needle Rock Park (Rio Verde),
had a smoke and lots of ice water, then came back and cruised the town,,,
all told, 45 miles (^)

it WAS a hot ride, but still very enjoyable !!!

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
i'll admit, it was a bit hot when i rode home yesterday.

I don't think the engine liked it too much as it seemed to be pinging a bit and revving by it's self by the time i got home. (probably got hot enough that it didn't need the spark plug to ignite the fuel)