how often do you pedal? Tips on pedaling..

GoldenMotor.com

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
I was thinking about riding my newly modified Mongoose in Critical Mass (a political bicycle-rights rally and ride through town- in bigger american cities/worldwide). And I'm pretty stoked to just be pedaling, showing off my bellied beast without firing up the engine and pissing in their cokes (the purists,etc..)

For positive publicity and to show that in fact, these are REAL bicycles that can be ridden and the deserve the same protection that non-modified bicycles enjoy.

So do you guys just motor around mostly, coast or just pedal in the dead of night near the governor's mansion?

Can I make pedaling even easier?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Heh heh, I only pedal when I see the local Leo's hawk-eye'n me, even if my engine is still running.

edit- but not all the time... you gotta know who you can make noise in front of, heh heh.

Last edited:

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
Sure you can make pedaling easier! There is no need to gear mo-bikes for top speed on the pedal side. Try running a small front and/or a large rear sprocket. Try something like a 44/22. If you make the bike real easy to pedal from the start, if you want to go fast all you have to do is dump the clutch! Also I think one of the best ways of making your mo-bike faster is not having much drag when pedaling. Make sure your engine drive chain is lined up. Both of my mo-bikes pedal real easy without the motor running...

Last edited:

yendorrodney88

May 5, 2010
campbelltown nsw australia
Hi diver,pedal when you feel like it,thats what its all about,I pedal when my bike is cold,up hills and when the misses is chasing me down the road with a rolling pin and thats why I wear a helmet,she's a good shot,happy motoring,yendorrodney88.zptzpt

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I peddle mine around when riding with my wife. We usually ride a couple miles at a time, sometimes longer. The longest distance we've peddled was about 10 miles.

I also have to peddle my bike away from every stop sign even when using the motor.

I've noticed that if the clutch cable adjustment gets much play you start getting drag on the clutch when peddling.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I pedal just like I'm riding a normal bike, but that makes me unusual for a motorized bike rider. I pedal because I am a life-long bike rider and I just like to pedal. It just feels good to me. I prefer a bicycle feeling rather than a motorcycle feeling.

Pedaling doesn't add much to speed - about 1 to 2 mph at full throttle. But hard pedaling can really speed acceleration from a stop, and it can greatly increase speed going up steep hills.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
keep a pair of plyers in your backpack, Use them to remove the master link and put the chain into a baggie so it doesnt leave oil all over your backpack. Then you get rid of ALL the extra friction the motor kit adds :) Back to stock bicycle. kinda :)

Really good tip for when your motor dies and you gotta switch to pedaling.. else theres just too much friction.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Black Moons said:
keep a pair of plyers in your backpack, Use them to remove the master link and put the chain into a baggie so it doesnt leave oil all over your backpack. Then you get rid of ALL the extra friction the motor kit adds Back to stock bicycle. kinda

Really good tip for when your motor dies and you gotta switch to pedaling.. else theres just too much friction.
i have used this techniqe before to get home easier after removing my chain i actually started to like my bike but i fixed the problem and hooked it up again and dont pedal unless i see a cop or pass a pedestrian or mess with another biker by pedalingpast em and kicking it in and goings fast

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I pretty much built with the intention of having a pedal option as close as I could get to a decent road bike. In fact I chose a 7 speed cruiser with the intent of having some pedal assist.

I don't do that much though.

What I've found with time is that I like to kill the motor when I'm going to get caught at a light- anticipation also helps avoid the light- if you slow down you can coast through more of them if you anticipate. But when I know I'm going to have to stop I kill the motor as soon as possible- I stay in a light gear to get the motor going again, and I'm gone. This saves a lot of gas and keeps the motor cooler. It's more discrete, there's more people around the intersection including the other cars stopped there.

the bike rolls so great! In fact I've used narrow tires to that end. I can easily coast two city blocks from not even near full speed. If I want to use the derailleur, I can put it in a bigger gear and coming down from speed, I can pedal again for a half mile with very little effort.

I usually ride to get somewhere- the grocery or to Starbucks- I always kill the motor before I get to the parking lot- in fact I close the petcock 2 or 3 blocks awy to run the fuel out of the line- that keeps the drips away. No one is disturbed by the motor at the store lot.

here's my bike with a 27 inch wheel on the front and a 26 x 1.75 tire on the back- like I said it rolls great. I have a 27 I may put on the rear, but first I'm going to finish this Huffy cruiser build with 700 C x 28 mm tires and the sprocket directly bolted to the flip/flop hub- I'll see if i like the light wheels on both ends and then decide for the 7 speed..

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/sprocket-bolted-drilled-flip-flop-24770.html
brnot

Attachments

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
if you stick to roads or have tought rims road bikes are good but i tried a road bike for my first build and had so many problems with bending wheels and flats that i change my kit to a mtn bike

but ill say i go places and on terrain i shouldnt ride a bike on especially a road bike

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Don't care what time of day or where I'm at (even around the police) I built my bike to ride and not peddle. If I have to worry about peddling I'll put the bike up. If I break down for some reason, I'll get on my cell and call for a ride.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Don't care what time of day or where I'm at (even around the police) I built my bike to ride and not peddle. If I have to worry about peddling I'll put the bike up. If I break down for some reason, I'll get on my cell and call for a ride.
Baah! These kids today with their rock'n'roll, long hair and pedaling!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Road bikes FRAMES are actually a little too short across the top bar- the tank actually gets in the way of peddalling- I have now found that I can cheat other larger wheels on the cruisers- but the brakes have to be measured carefully- a matched set will not usually work- the rear brake has to be very long- like a BMX brake.

but I DO stay on good roads- it's a transporation alternative that saves a lot of gas and I can ride all year in Florida.

But I think the wheels will be fine- of course the thinner the tire, the faster it's gonna wear- The 27 on the front I've found quite adequate. and you can't be especially heavy. I'm about 185.

For 700 C wheels, I'd stay at least with a 28 mm tire (1 1/8" approximately) The nice part with 700c is that there is a nice selection and availability is great.

I think the 50 cc may actually be the better motor- 66 might just be too much motor when the bike rolls this well, and a 50 is a lighter and quieter setup.

Tires are too expensive in general- part of the automotive/ oil plot I think.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Where I live there are a lot of beautiful bike trails. Unfortunately they all have signs that say "No Motorized Vehicles" posted at the entry. I ignore those signs and ride, motor running...until I encounter pedalers or walkers then I hit the kill switch, lock the clutch and pedal. When I'm far enough away that I figure they can't hear it, I start the engine and go. I try to be as considerate of others as possible. My bikes have always proved reliable so I've never had to pedal but would if I had to. That's why they have pedals. They're still bicycles.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the only time i pedal my motorbike is to get it rolling. i never ride it on trails or sidewalks where i'm not allowed (almost never, anyway. i have to admit i do a few speedruns up the santa ana river trial bike path a few times when no one's around...)

the only time i've broken down was from snapping chains, so i never had to take the masterlink out (which i don't use anyways) to make it pedal easier. and i don't get greasy, 'cause the chain comes off on it's own and i leave it in the street.

i have other bikes with no motors on them, so if i want to pedal, i can ride those. and i actually ride them all the time. especially if i'm going to the beach. it's more fun to ride down the boardwalk where there's girls then it is to motor through the side streets by myself.