Proper placement of joint binders when mounting rear sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I just noticed that my chain is rubbing on my spokes because the rear sprocket is to close to the spokes. I see that I can flip my sprocket over and I will have more room. But I also wondered about the placement of the joint binders. The manual (zoombicycles) says to install both joint binders INSIDE the spokes on a free-wheel setup. I thought this seemed redundant when I installed the kit, but who am I to argue? So now I re-read the manual and I see that under the coaster-brake section it states, that "when installing on a free-wheel setup", "install one joint binder on the OUTSIDE of the spokes". This makes much more sense to me. But why is this information about a free-wheel setup specified under the coaster brake section? Me thinks there is a typo. Soooo, how should my joint binders be used on my free-wheel bike?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One inside, one outside the spokes.You want the spokes 'sandwiched' between the rubber parts. Doesn't matter what kind of wheel/hub you have.
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a coaster brake hub and the manual told me to put one rubber inside and one rubber outside,but if i did that the sprocket and bolts would hit my brake arm and stuff,so i just used rubber and metal plates on the inside of wheel and i used my second set of metal plates as spacers between the sprocket and spokes.now everything clears just fine.plus the rubber is thick and the sprocket wouldnt even fit over the wheel hub if i used a rubber between the sprocket and spokes. if i get a chance to take my sprocket and all those bolts out i may see if i can put it together diffrent.

for everyone else i reccomend that you use 2 rubbers with your wheel,one inside and one outside.

Last edited:

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
Moved my binder today. Must better clearance. No chain rubbing spokes. And (duh!) less vibration. Not sure but I think chain alignment is better. That is a hard thing to check. With frame members in the way and chain gaurd in the way and such. Do you have any suggestions for checking chain alighnment?