gas tank filler pipe and cap

GoldenMotor.com

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
does anyone have an outlet for a filler pipe and cap? i dont want to cut up a good tank for one. Im welding a new tank to mount behind the seat.cptr..cptr. ,about 4 1/2 " in dia and 10' long, just need the fill to complete it. thanks guys.
Joe

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
I've seen it suggested that one might use a filler cap from a junk Ford power steering pump. I have not tried it though. .weld

For the petcock I welded an apropriate nut to the end of a short piece of tubing then to the tank. I guess that one is a no brainer though.

Attachments

Last edited:

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
This is what I did.....This is just copied from a reply I gave about building a custom tank at motoredbikes...

"Hey there, I made a rather simple one for my "board tracker" style bike...A bit on the pricey side though...I ordered 18" of 3" diam brass tubing and two domed end caps...This can be done with thin walled steel tubing ( I'll go with steel next time ) at a much lower price I'm sure but you may have to order the end caps in brass or stainless to get smooth caps..Anyway, I ordered from a company that sells tubing for bar rails and hand rails and stuff like that...I started by cutting out the filler neck and cap from the stock supplied tank...I soldered that in and found that the neck was too short and the cap was hitting my bike frame...I went to a plumbing store and got a chrome drain pipe and cut that to about 4 inches ( to clear my upper frame tube ) and soldered that to the filler neck and did a J.B. Weld job around the neck and some sanding to make it a smooth transition into the tank...I will have to paint my tank because I put a few deep scratches in the brass building it...Then I went to the local "Carquest" auto parts store and bought a better fuel petcock for like 6 bucks made by "Prime Line" and a brass female fitting which was soldered into the bottom of the tank and then threaded in the petcock...Oh and by the way, because of the flair on the filler neck I had find another type of gas cap so I purchased a 1 1/2" test plug that expands a rubber plug when the wing nut on the top is cranked down..I have since modified the test plug to look a little nicer on the filler neck..Anyway thats how I did it and and it held pressure on the test and doesnt leak..I'm guessing it holds about 1 and 1/2 the amount of fuel the other tank held but to be honest I havent measured it yet...Heres a couple of older pics, I took tons while making the tank but I dont have any new ones yet... I'll try to upload some new ones soon...To answer another of your questions, I think I have about $70 into this tank but it can be done cheaper...I just recently ground the edge of that test plug metal cap and J.B. welded it into the plumbing pipe threaded cap ring but I dont have a pic yet...Makes it look like a real gas cap....Good luck with whatever you decide to do."

By the way that test plug was only 2.50 so buy a few...I'm going to carry an extra in my tool pouch on the bike...I'm not absolutely positive that the gas wont eat the rubber plug in time so I got a spare...I have talked to a few people and they said it should be fine for many years actually...

and heres a couple pics..

Attachments

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
This is what I did.....This is just copied from a reply I gave about building a custom tank at motoredbikes...

"Hey there, I made a rather simple one for my "board tracker" style bike...A bit on the pricey side though...I ordered 18" of 3" diam brass tubing and two domed end caps...This can be done with thin walled steel tubing ( I'll go with steel next time ) at a much lower price I'm sure but you may have to order the end caps in brass or stainless to get smooth caps..Anyway, I ordered from a company that sells tubing for bar rails and hand rails and stuff like that...I started by cutting out the filler neck and cap from the stock supplied tank...I soldered that in and found that the neck was too short and the cap was hitting my bike frame...I went to a plumbing store and got a chrome drain pipe and cut that to about 4 inches ( to clear my upper frame tube ) and soldered that to the filler neck and did a J.B. Weld job around the neck and some sanding to make it a smooth transition into the tank...I will have to paint my tank because I put a few deep scratches in the brass building it...Then I went to the local "Carquest" auto parts store and bought a better fuel petcock for like 6 bucks made by "Prime Line" and a brass female fitting which was soldered into the bottom of the tank and then threaded in the petcock...Oh and by the way, because of the flair on the filler neck I had find another type of gas cap so I purchased a 1 1/2" test plug that expands a rubber plug when the wing nut on the top is cranked down..I have since modified the test plug to look a little nicer on the filler neck..Anyway thats how I did it and and it held pressure on the test and doesnt leak..I'm guessing it holds about 1 and 1/2 the amount of fuel the other tank held but to be honest I havent measured it yet...Heres a couple of older pics, I took tons while making the tank but I dont have any new ones yet... I'll try to upload some new ones soon...To answer another of your questions, I think I have about $70 into this tank but it can be done cheaper...I just recently ground the edge of that test plug metal cap and J.B. welded it into the plumbing pipe threaded cap ring but I dont have a pic yet...Makes it look like a real gas cap....Good luck with whatever you decide to do."

By the way that test plug was only 2.50 so buy a few...I'm going to carry an extra in my tool pouch on the bike...I'm not absolutely positive that the gas wont eat the rubber plug in time so I got a spare...I have talked to a few people and they said it should be fine for many years actually...

and heres a couple pics..
How is your tank vented. You will have to have a vented cap.

John

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
thanks for the info, looks like it turned out great! i wound up using two 1lb propane bottles, cut the curved tops off and welded them together, hacked off a fill from a stock tank etc.. if you look around you can find the propane tanks with the flat bottom at wally world, the coleman tanks have a funny shape on the bottom covered with a plastic cap i didnt like those, if i get a chance this week ill post a pic.. its about 4 and 1/2 inches in dia. and i made mine 12" long to fit behind my seat or upper frame rail, havent decided which yet. Have fun!

ps: please make sure the tanks are completely empty before you start drilling and cutting, i submerge the empty tank and drill bit in a bucket of water while i drill the start hole, the water prevents heat and sparks from the drill, then i hacksaw them to the length i want. you could braze and solder them together also. havent tried jb, but who knows! a cheap tank for sure! $4.00

Last edited:

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
That I do not know yet...I havent put any gas in yet but I think If I have to I will probably vent through the plug and cap...