reliable motorized bicycle for transportation

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
most of you know i left michigan to move to the virgin islands. in the states i had a huge garage. 2 six foot tall tool boxes with every imaginable tool. my first bike was an electric one. reliable but slow as a snail so i got me a 2 stroke kit and loved it. however like most of you each time i rode it i had to fix something but no big deal i had the place to work on it and a pickup to go get it when it broke down on the road. when i left the states i sold most everything except a small box of essential tools. here i dont have anywhere to work on the bikes except the porch and limited tools. i am not complaining i love it here and can ride every day. we only have one car here not 3 including a truck like in the states. the car is my wifes and i was using the motorized bicycle for my main transportation to work and most every where else. so i needed reliability. i bought the dax titan 4 stroke. i didnt have to store gas or mix it or anything else and that is the reason i purchased it. to be honest i was not even thinking reliability but concerned with i could not keep gas and oil and everything in the condo with out stinking the place up and having a heck of a fire hazard. i put over a 1,000 miles on the bike and never had a lick of problems except a few flats and i filled the tires with green slime and never had another one. the bike was stolen because i was to lazy to lock it and felt it was safe on my porch. a hard lesson learned. i have since purchased another titan and it should arrive here soon. i am excited as heck. here are a few things i like about the titan over the 2 stroke

..dont have to mix gas and oil
..can pull up to the gas pump and fill it
..no vibration unless full throttle and even then not bad
..cruise at 32 to 35 mph with no modifications (i think i get better speed here because at sea level)
..the motor is very quite.
..install is easy as heck. i put the kit together in less then an hour
..pedaling. this bike pedaled about the same with the motor on or off. i ran out of gas one time and had to pedal home and it did remarkably well. the 2 stroke killed me just to pedal to get it started
...and the biggest thing is reliability. talk to a few people that own them. they have 3 and 4,000 miles on them.

i am not doing an advertisement for dax this is my personal experience with the motor. why they last so long i have a few thoughts. number one is vibration. vibration loosens and destroys everything. as i said this motor has little vibration at all. i think it is like a lawnmower engine. all of us have 4 stroke lawn mowers that keep running year after year.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Biggest problem: You have an engine:

a) in the wrong spot
b) where the luggage goes
c) that gets in the way
d) that is a hassle for leg swings for (short/tall) folks with knee problems

Take the same engine, or God forbid a Honda, and put it in the frame where it belongs, hook it to a jackshaft and then you'll have something. (And I agree with most of the rest, except I love premixing)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i thought i would have problems getting on it also but it was no problem at all for me you just get on the bike different and yes i miss my luggage rack but i went with a bag thing that mounts on the front handle bars that carry's what i need and when i had a lot of stuff i just wore my back pack. jackshaft i agree with you that would be the ultimate (^)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i like full suspension and most full suspension bikes don't have room for the inframe mount. with this bike is the perfect set up for me. its reliable and a nice smooth ride. i had all the same concerns as you guys with the gravity and stuff but after i rode one i realized it is not an issue

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Well you know you can even mount it up front like I did on my trike! And with simple mods even convert it into a 3 speed free wheel!
And Cronus is happy in it's stock configuration just the way it is with a 48 tooth for I'm about climbing more than speed.
I'm still waiting for my #40 20 tooth sprocket to arrive. Then I'll make the 3 speed conversion on the buggy bike. I still ride it often especially with all the ice on the roads. Yesterday was FUN riding in all the snow! I should have made a video. In the meanwhile I'll get that Wheel Master wheel on Cronus and it looks like Cronus won't give me any grief.
I told Duane about my 2 stroke losing a bushing I think and he gave me a nice deal on some engine parts. MOOP 2 still sits. I haven't gotten around to fixing her. Actually I really haven't the desire. One day I'll fix her up. Maybe.
In a few months I want to get a new engine for Cronus. Cronus will still be my main ride. My Buggy Bike is for grocery getting and fooling around on. It's also gotten me quite far though on my long trips. When the trails are full of ice,I love it for I got those trails all to myself! But I need front brakes. Yes it's fun without it but I gotta think safety.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
d) that is a hassle for leg swings for (short/tall) folks with knee problems
That gives your bike individuality!
I mount on my Titan when it's on Cronus by bending my leg at the knee when I swing my leg over. This clears everything! I seen Duane get on by going over the front bar. Then for the ladies just have a ladies frame. Ladies frame getting on is even easier than with a frame mount! And their dresses don't get stained with two stroke exhaust.
So it's all about individuality. Were all building bikes to suit us. I always believe the more individual you put on your bike the harder it is for a thief to get it running.
I put some "Tricks" on the Titan to make it when a thief tries to start it to steal it,it's not happening. Revealing it may jeopardize.... naw. Any thief that may want to take my ride probably won't be reading this.
I'll share this "One" trick for you guys.
When I know I'm going on a seedy area for I do business in Denver a bit I remove my pull starter. I haven't done this on Cronus but on the buggy bike it's okay. Then I carry a rope with a handle with me.
So even when a thief tries to take and start my engine,they can wrap a rope around and pull all day long but it won't start. Why? Because you have to wrap and pull CLOCKWISE for it to start. Most would think to pull it counter clockwise,the same direction your wheel would be going.(Pull starter is on the right side. Clockwise looks like it would send the bike in reverse. Most don't know the 5 to 1 gearbox reverses the rotation)
Individuality. The two stroke I've shared many anti theft stuff too.
Oops. Sorry I derailed.
I can't help it!!

Knee problems can also be fixed by getting a ladies frame and paint it manly. :) My Buggy Bike I would say is a universal frame for the single thick bar is low like a ladies bike. I love it for I don't have to swing my leg at all. I just "step up" on it.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
It's in frame for me, and I like mixing oil and gas. Gives me some exercise in the arms. I'll be designing my own frame, pivotless suspension frame, with tunable suspension. :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
An in frame 4 stroke is just a joy. The best of all worlds. Smooth and low CG. Not as sexy as a china girl.

Wanted to ask, can a Titan be pop started?