Chain the bike frame to a solid foundation, like a street light

Chain the seat post to the back of your car

Floor it

___

Don't do this

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
heat & an 18" Stilson Just make sure m you give the heat time to work itself in there, a few taps in the downward direction to get it moving it will free up persistence is key as well as heat

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Chain the bike frame to a solid foundation, like a street light

Chain the seat post to the back of your car

Floor it

___

Don't do this
"

VIK this reminds me of a story about a guy in the town of New Bedford Massachusetts . a man tied a 100' rope to a light pole got in his car tied the rope around his neck and floored it , no kidding true story as sure as the sun will rise you can guess what happened next
P.S. he didn't use the brakes

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
"

VIK this reminds me of a story about a guy in the town of New Bedford Massachusetts . a man tied a 100' rope to a light pole got in his car tied the rope around his neck and floored it , no kidding true story as sure as the sun will rise you can guess what happened next
P.S. he didn't use the brakes
Some people! :-||

samdallas214

Sep 1, 2012
Dallas Tx
I has a stuck posted this is how I got it loose and I only had about 6-8 " of the post to work with
I got a larger round piece of pipe around 24-48" long
I slipped it over the seat post I then drilled a whole through both sides of the pipe and post added a bolt and nut .
About 12-16" inches up on the pipe I then clamped a pair of vice gripes facing the same way as the frame of the bike pointing backwards .
I then got a bottle jack put it between the vice gripes and the frame of the bike.
I jacked it up to where the jack was real tight .
I then added a 2ed pair of vice griped to the other side .

between jacking 1 side up and banging the other side with a sledgehammer. it came loose

It took sever time of doing this because the jack would slip but finally got it loosen,
good luck

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
are you sure the threads from that bolt are not holding that other side I realize the nut is loose but the bolt could be threaded into the stem Id remove that bolt completely and spread them 2 holes apart

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
What you see in the pic is an aluminum tube with ridges. I tried to get some silicone grease in between the seat tube and that aluminum tub then gripping it with a clamp and then hitting it with a hammer from the bottom. Tried heating it as well. It's in a good 5-6 inches and is just not budging.
If you heat that thing almost red the entire 5-6" . Not just on the top Then twist it a few times with a pipe wrench A.K.A. Stilson Don't worry about the paint we are past that if you want it out thats what you have to do a little heat just on the top isn't going to do it You gotta rose bud that *****, I work with steel every day.

It will retain it's strength, so when people tell you "OH but the steel will get weaker if you heat it too much" .B.S. depending on the steel some even get harder especially if you cool it off fast after you get it out, it's an age old process called tempering steel they do it to tool's & swords to make them harder. & If in the off chance it does weaken , it will never be to a point where you would ever have to worry about it .
Just trying to help

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Thanks for all your guys' advice, but this thing isn't coming out without some serious mods to the frame itself, I've decided to go with this approach

Attachments

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Is that a picture of your bike or what you going to do your bike like. I see the picture has it all painted up nice!

I tested out a replacement regulator for my MIG welder yesterday and tried welding to some test pieces. The kiddy bike tubes on the bmx style handle bar cross piece I welded some channel steel to it. Next I am going to make braces for some heavy duty training wheels for when I add an art cover for my motor bike I'll use in parades. I guess brazing is usually used on the frame tubes, but the MIG is all I have so I'll be using it.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=471338#post471338 post 122 has the latest 3 photos

MT

I think if aside of all the ideas and of course also getting a mill and jigging it up to take out just the post, maybe leaving it in. What I mean is using it in some way to clamp something that post sticking out. Then laterally forward or aft have a metal connection that has another seat post that can move a small amount up or down. Kind of analogous to those lay back seat post setups.

It may not be what you want or have room to work, but maybe?

If cutting out the frame portion and welding back in a new section can be done by you or economically some how, throwing out the frame would not be necessary. I've welded a bit, but not brazed or used a torch. My MIG has some limitations.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I checked the 1st post again, yes OK. Like to see how it works out when you get the work done.

I had myself use a seat post with a shim. It was something that still was not right for a bike and left an out of round dent up on the top of the frame tube when I tightened the clamp. I was able to remove the seat post with great difficulty. Before I noticed that dent, I sanded the tube and the seat post and was using it again and wondering why it still was a bear to move.

I fixed the dent by trying to hammer and grind it out some and am living with it that way.

Now that I know that I could just slice off just the top where the clamp is and weld on another part. It could be either from another scrap bike or possibly made from spare metal tubing.

MT