BRAND New to this Hobby.. starting from scratch

GoldenMotor.com

theRhino

Feb 17, 2011
(San Marcos)San Diego, CA
How's it going all! thank you in advance for welcoming me to the forum world.. this is my first ever! Im an average guy.. 20 yrs young, Marine Reservist, Police Dispatcher, and full time student in southern California..
I have been reading up on this hobby for the past couple weeks, and have finally decided to invest and slowly break into it.

MY GOAL: buy a beach cruiser, as retro/ vintage as possible and clean her up. then after she is a normal working lubed up bike, find a motor that is the simplest to start and ride with.. I love the look of the "derringer" styles but not so much the handlebars down so far, i want to enjoy and ride upright!.. so hopefully over time I can get there. Anything y'all can assist me with would be great!

I love the idea of having this thrill all week and keep my car for the weekends!

I dont know about headlights, or tail lights.. i'm looking to make my ride, the baddest, coolest thing my town has ever seen!

I'll give you an example as to how new and un-knowledgeable I am.. I dont even know if a 2 cycle/speed motor needs to have 2 speed oil mixed in it the gas like a lawnmower.. on a bike..
ya, help me out?

Last edited:

aquileus

Jan 24, 2011
Puerto Rico
Welcome to the forum, I'm new in this forum and in this hobby too. I just built my first MB few days ago and I really enjoy to ride my bike around. About the knowledge, here you will see and read many ideas, the search buttom is very helpfull to reach your goal, seen what other already did and their results.

Enjoy the forum!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've made the right decision to come here for help and advice.
Yes, 2 stroke or 2 cycle means the oil is mixed with the gasloine.

My advice is to read all you can here. There are threads covering every aspect of building a successful motorized bicycle. The search feature is an important part that will offer most of the answers for you. Prepare yourself for a lot of reading.
When it comes time for you to ask specific questions, we're here to help.
Have fun, ride safe.
Tom

Last edited:

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Hi theRhino. You have picked the right forum. Lots of nice folks and loads of info.

Before you know it you too will have extra parts, pieces, tires, junk bikes cluttering up your garage. This hobby is very addictive. Enjoy. scratg

And yes, the cheap popular mid-frame engine nick named Happy Time (HT) is a 2 stroke and needs oil mixed in the gas to run.

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
I'm new here also, theRhino, and have found this forum to be very helpful and filled with useful information. I'm currently gathering pieces for my first MB and intend to start on it soon. I have a Schwinn Landmark cruiser bike and a 2 stroke 48cc kit as that is the legal max here in Missouri. Since I have to do most of my work outside, I'm waiting for warmer weather to arrive around here. Good luck with your project!

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago
Welcome, these bike are so much fun, I love the cruisers they work great with these motors. Ask all the questions you want there are the best group of guys on this forum. Good luck and have fun!

wmgoethe

Feb 18, 2011
titusville florida
ok you asked for it so here it goes I'm going to get me a 66 to 80 cc engine and put that on a crouser with 26" 2" tires here is my question on the engine can I put a 12volt generator for the head light, tail light, turn signals, and a small horn. Or if any of you have a good idea how I could do this please feel free to get back with me on that..trk

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
I've wondered that myself. I understand that the magneto won't put out enough power to make much light. I've heard of using bicycle sidewall generators but I don't think they will charge a battery. I'm not sure if they even put out 12 volts most of the time and it would have to be dc current to be used for battery charging. Maybe someone on here has more information about these units.

wmgoethe

Feb 18, 2011
titusville florida
I've wondered that myself. I understand that the magneto won't put out enough power to make much light. I've heard of using bicycle sidewall generators but I don't think they will charge a battery. I'm not sure if they even put out 12 volts most of the time and it would have to be dc current to be used for battery charging. Maybe someone on here has more information about these units.
thank you I appreaciate that anouther guy on here just recommended a small alternator my idea is just in the planning stages right now.xx.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Welcome to the forum. You will find all the answers to you questions and more. Read as much as you can, it'll help minimizes mistakes. Semper Fi, Dan

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
Thanks and yes, most of what I think I know about these bikes I have picked up from this forum and dealer websites. They are simple machines, but still the more I think I know, the more questions I seem to have. Go figure... :)

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
welcome rhino, i hope you find out all you need from this forum. i know so far its been atot of help for me.:)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Rhino, welcome! This is a very fun hobby to get into! If you are interested I could sell you a kit that has been road tested and proven, has all the glitches worked out, and is close to break in. If you don't want it, don't be shy to ask all of us about whether a kit or a dealer is good have fun :)
-LS

theRhino

Feb 17, 2011
(San Marcos)San Diego, CA
I appreciate ALL the feedback Gentlemen!!!

I have been all over this forum now, and have made excellent use of that search bar!! I have gotten a lot of really creative ideas and am thoroughly interested in this hobby.
I finally decided on buying my first bike, as a completed kit from a local builder. does a Schwinn or a huffy make any difference in the long run?
now the only dilemma i have is finding a color that i want... wish me luck! haha