48cc ban?

GoldenMotor.com

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
This rumor surfaces every year at about this time with end of season sales slump. Whole industries depend on gullibility of american consumers.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
My motor does not have chrome/moly sleave-it just looked like it.My dealer down in Florida told me not to worry he has lots of motors and after ban is in place he will still be allowed to sell his stock.He has been sold out of complete kits though for a long time.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i want to build my own motor with some scrapped scooter parts to run it better than what we got...lets improve these things...i got an ugly frame to strap ugly **** to...i want that pos to fly when im done...lets stop thinking about the law since they dont give us any problems anyways....focus on improvement not the legalities....come on there has got to be some mechanics on this forum...where is your opinion....

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Motorized bicycles are not motorcycles,or even scooters....even a mini bike is built to take the pounding. If I can roll along without having to peddle I'm happy.A biker on a Harley was killed when he lost his front wheel.....he was only going 30mph.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
What bout all the weed trimmers,chain saws and snow mobiles?Companies will still be able to sell what they have in stock.They just wont be able to import anymore.4strokes are way better anyway-just have less bottom end.I wish I had a four stroke to begin with. I dought that the "motor police" are going to come running anyways.If they do, it will be very sad.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you google "2 stroke ban" you get a bunch of outdated forums from years back, that read exactly like this one. all panic, no proof.

then there's the dirt bike guys, all saying the same thing, too. but they're worried they can't ride around in the forest.

there's the boaters, and they're scared, too.

and a few states that banned them from lakes, cities, and forests.

california gets the most hits, and the searches turn up the ban on gardening, which was basically glossed right over. i remember when that was supposed to go into effect here, and it got quieter for a few days, but my gardener still has a two stroke.

(and, as a side note, i ran out of gas once, gave some gardeners 5 bucks, and got enough premix to get me home.)

it's strange that there's all these chicken littles running around screaming "the sky is falling!", yet there's not one post by any governing body, any government agency, or anything even remotely official sounding posted anywhere.

unless there's a huge conspiracy involving the secret banning and a tactically planned, hostile two stroke engine confiscation, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The reason I think there might be something to it this time, is because my engine supplier says that china is cutting him off on Jan 1st because of import restrictions on 2 strokes.
He says he's gonna switch to selling electric bikes because he can't get 2 strokes anymore!
I asked him to find out if that ban is for the whole country, or just Cali? I haven't heard back from him yet...
I'm gonna stock up just in case!

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just spent the last hour over at USASearch.gov, looking into this. the only bans i found were on certain lakes and parks, for snowmobiles and boats. i live in california, so unless i ride up to Mt. Wilson (which i just might) i'm not to worried about the snow, and if i ever plan on jumping my bike into a lake (which i doubt i will,) i'm not too worried.

there were a few proposals about running catalytic exhausts on two strokes, but they were all dated 5 or more years ago, and my motor has a catalytic converter. at least that's what the directions say.

the boater sites my search led me to were kinda interesting, they said older motors would no longer be able to be sold (new,) but they didn't see a problem with that, as boats are making strides to make better motors anyway. their major concern is polluting our waters and killing off fish.

there's not too many fish where i ride, unless you count all the sushi restaurants, so again, not worried.

i don't have any experience with motor distributors. maybe they have some kinda secret knowledge, that goes back to my "hidden conspiracy to outlaw fun" by the secret government. or the freemasons. who knows.

if i was getting motors from a distributor, i'd ask him for some kind of proof. if they can't sell them to us, he must have some sort of official document saying so. there's no way a businessman would give up because of hearsay. if that worked, i would call walmart headquarters and tell them after 2010 they are no longer allowed to sell anything not made in america.

now that i've done my own research, i'm not gonna worry about it. i don't think the supply is gonna dry up. if it does, i'll just ride around making "VROOM VROOM" noises with my mouth, and remember the "good ol days..."

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
The other day I was out riding my Pro.,that has no motor yet and I was making vroom vroom noises with my mouth.I Couldnt help it,just looking forward over that front Vector Girven fork was just too much.That bike is so very light,smooth and quick,I just love riding it.

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
Someone may have already posted this, but here is the laws on Motorised Bicycles in Queensland:
Rules for motorised bicycles

A motorised bicycle is a bicycle to which an electric motor is attached. The motor must not be capable of generating more than 200 watts of power. It is illegal to ride a bicycle on roads or road-related areas (such as paths) if the bicycle has an internal combustion engine (for example, a petrol or diesel motor) attached or an electric motor which is capable of generating more than 200 watts.

Motorised bicycles are required to adhere to the same road rules as bicycles and have the same rights and responsibilities. Motorised bicycles are exempt from registration and compulsory third party insurance.

A two-wheeled vehicle with an internal combustion engine, or an electric motor capable of generating over 200 watts, must comply with the Australian Design Rules* requirements for a motorbike if it is to be ridden on roads or road-related areas.

When riding a motorised bicycle you must:

* wear an approved bicycle helmet securely fitted and fastened.

The motorised bicycle must have:

* a bell or horn
* at least one effective brake.

When riding at night you must display:

* a white light at the front, visible for 200 m
* a red light at the back, visible for 200 m
* a red reflector at the back, visible for 50 m.

You can ride a motorised bicycle on all roads and paths, except where bicycles are specifically excluded.

You do not need to have a driver licence to ride a motorised bicycle.

For information on registering a motorised wheelchair visit the motorised wheelchairs section.

*The content found by using this link is not created, controlled or approved by this department. No responsibility is taken for the consequences of viewing content on this site. This link will load into a new window.

Last updated: 24 May 2010
This came from http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registration/Registering-vehicles/Wheelchairs-and-small-devices/Motorised-foot-scooters-and-motorised-bicycles.aspx

I wanted to look at design requirements for a motorbike but I would still be reading in a fortnight, therefore I think it's safe to assume that they would simply want you to make sure that everything is secure, i.e everything that can has a lock nut of some sort, and that everything is able to take sudden impacts -I know mine can.

Last edited:

jirble2

Mar 23, 2010
I will also add, I've seen police officers see me a lot, but none of them ever go after me. The police probably haven't a clue what to do lol.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I thought that it's the gas that burns up but the oil stays......because there is oil everywhere on my engine...but there is a lot of oil in my muffler also so. Anyway, winter is here, it got real cold and I waited to long before changing over to a thinner oil ( snow-mo oil) and now everything is all gummed up with the thick summere oil that I use.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
One very good reason there will probably never be a ban of China Girls in America is that China owns America. When it comes to trade, our crooked corrupt politicians will never do anything China doesn't allow them to do.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
In the hey day of 2 stroke big bore motorcycles, guys that rode and were into big 2 strokes were called-
"Blue smoke affectionados" or "Blue smokers"
Great bikes like the Yamaha "RD" and "TZ" series and Kawasaki's now infamous Hurricane H1 750cc 2 stroke triple HAD to be phased out of existence due to ever tightening government anti pollution standards.
What makes you think we are immune?
I'm gonna buy up a few engine kits any way JUUUUST in case. They are cheaper by the dozen any way.
Now...if I could just find the factory connection for Morini S6s engines at a reasonable price Ill be happy.

"I LOVE MY COUNTRY, I'm shamed of my government"

Keep em running...
BBB
P.S.- I wonder if they intend on banning 48cc 4 strokes as well?

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I don't have to worry cause my motor is made in Japan actually a sub company of Mittsubshi...that is one tough little motor....this winter will be the third winter....

Ha ha, -just had it out around the block a few times..at -17 celcius fresh snow fall...

did some muffler maintainence and changed my E3 Diamond Fire spark plug over to a brand new Champion cj8 I just bought 4 of them- store has two left-going to get the rest o them.

My bike is boggin out at half throttle but when I gun it, it really kicks in with alot of power - not worried about top end, and it's runnin good enough to get me through another winter.

Then in summer I can clean out the carb and new gaskets.