GasBike/King's "GT80" engine dissection

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
Hello everyone. I don't post here much, heck I don't post anywhere much for that matter. I just felt that I needed to do some of the new guys a service and show everyone just what is being passed off as a "Race Engine" with claims of 4.5 horsepower.

This is going to involve a lot of pictures, because as you know, "a picture is worth 2 in the bush." I think it was George W. who said that.

Anyway, I'll start out with the cylinder that's "ported" as they claim on their website. It may very well be ported, but it was done with a chisel, and with zero regards to cleanliness, protection of the cylinder wall or chamfering edges to prevent rings from snagging.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
And all that oily, gritty stuff that you see in the pics is chunks of aluminum that wasn't cleaned out of the ports. It's everywhere! I can only imagine what's inside the case.

Here's another pic. The 3rd transfer port is the nicest looking area of the entire engine, except for that big gouge in the wall just above it. That's not the only one either.

image.jpeg

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
This transfer port is a little bit cleaned up (chewed up.) The gouge at the top of it isn't probably going to help performance any. The size and shape of it, along with a totally stock, unmodified type b piston just ain't ideal for getting as much fuel inside that's needed for a 4.5HP engine. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't tested the engine out yet. But so far this thing just looks like a shined up turd - and it ain't even that shiny.

image.jpeg

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
One thing that really bothers me is that the deck height is not lowered a bit. So with a GT5's 38mm stroke and the deck height of 69.5mm with a very poor imitation of a Fref Head, this thing is going to have some low numbers in the compression Dept.

image.jpeg

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
This head is just all kinds of nasty! If you're unfortunately enough to have spent money on this piece of crap, make sure you wear gloves when you handle the head. It's sharp EVERYWHERE!

image.jpeg

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
The combustion chamber looks OK from a distance, but it's not even close to being polished. Also, there's a very sharp lip at the inside edge of the squish band which is perfect for collecting carbon and all kinds of other neat things you don't want.

image.jpeg

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
This one has me baffled. It's an aluminum block cut out the space the Reed valve 3/4" out. The Reed valve will attach perfectly fine without it, but I guess GasBike figured that while they were throwing together such a shoddy engine that they'll just go ahead and try to screw it up a little more. Kudos to you GasBike/Kings. You've done it!

image.jpeg

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
Reed valve next to Reed block. I'll assume the look was stolen from Arrow because the rest of the engine "looks" like an arrow engine. I don't know, maybe the Reed valve setup they stole is OK. But it's probably not.

image.jpeg

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
There are probably more pics I'm missing, but I'm getting tired and depressed looking at all these horrific pics. After I get the engine back together and mounted up, I'll post the test results. If I was serious about keeping this engine for my own I would spend 3-4 (probably more) hours going over everything to make it safe. Those unchamfered port edges are killing me, but oh well - that's the way I got it, and it's advertised as 4.5HP out of the box.

Bottom line is, DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON CRAP FROM VENDORS LIKE THIS!!!!

1) They are lying to you - plain and simple.

2) They steal all of their ideas from hard working Americans, and get knockoffs made in China for pennies. Yes, the knockoffs LOOK like the real deal parts, but they are cheaply made, and will only bring you heartache. Check out my pics again if you're not sure!!

3) You deserve better! Why slap down $200 for this piece of $£|T engine when you could just save a few more bucks and get one that's hand built right here in American soil? That engine is not only guaranteed to be stronger and more reliable, but if you have a technical question you WILL get an answer from one of us American engine builders. Try that with the scourge who sells this one? Go ahead - ask them something about port timing or deck height. usflg

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
The horrid Head with the very crude Machining spoke volumes on the rest of the engine. The swarf in the cylinder is bad enough but the port edges looked like they were done by someone with 0 pride. Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos and info.

anota

Jul 2, 2012
Narragansett
gas bike does suck. they sent me 2 4-stokes with holes blown through the case and never returned any of my 10-20 calls and emails. The shipping packages had no damage or signs of holes so the engines were damaged before packaging. Never will buy from them again

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
***update***

I just got a call from a guy named Mater or Mader, who works for GasBike. Evidently he saw my post, and he threatened me with lawsuits and other stuff if I didn't remove my post that was bashing his company's good name. I just told him that his company itself does a good enough job at damaging its reputation. I was just reporting the facts. Then I hung up and wondered how this company is still in business.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I would say that you've made your point and got the attention of someone who might do you some good. My suggestion would be to contact that individule and work out a settlement.

The forum is not in a position to settle disagreements with buyers and sellers. That needs to be taken care of between those two.

I'm closing this thread. The rest is up to you.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.