Cleaning/Lubing Freewheels

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
How do you guys clean & lube your freewheels? My chainring freewheel needs maintenance. I flushed it out and tried to push grease thru the cracks.

How do you guys lube freewheels?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
How do you guys clean & lube your freewheels? My chainring freewheel needs maintenance. I flushed it out and tried to push grease thru the cracks.

How do you guys lube freewheels?
Are you talking about a crank free wheel like used with a shifter bike set up?

if so I dont have a shifter bike so my knowledge on this is very limited, I will say though that if there is a gap that will allow it to be oiled, I would possibly get me a can of spray grease, a Napa parts store or most industrial supply stores like Motion Industries will have the spray grease, it is a somewhat regular red grease normally but it is desolved in a solvent that will allow it to be sprayed into small gaps between surfaces and into bearing and such, after it has been sprayed into an area you have to let the piece sit for a little while and the solvents with evaporate and leave the good thick grease behind, this might be the answer to what you are needing to lube.

Here is a link to a good deal on what I'm talking about on Amazon.com, very good price on this.

Product Description
BIG REDTM - FPPS Multi-Purpose Red Grease BIG RED is a highly efficient lubricant in an easy to use spray can. This product sprays out as a thin, penetrating liquid and sets as a thick, red grease. The grease withstands temperatures to 500°F and resists "throw-off" from moving parts. Included in the formula are additives for antirust, antiwear, oxidation and for water and acid resistance.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LMVBU6...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B009LMVBU6

Hope this helps, Map

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks Chris and mapbike.

I had a left-hand freewheel disintegrate on me years ago.:-||

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You're very welcome 5-7.........
Hope you get things squared away and back in tip top working order with some fresh lube and a clewned up clut h bearing.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I watched Dax's videos regarding freewheel maintenance and shift kit installation. Those videos were very informative. I'll be cleaning/lubing this weekend..bld.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've had a LOT of high miles/high speed customers that have worn the freewheel pawls down to nubs - easier to just throw a new one on than to rebuild - no amount of lube will help that click click click at those speeds/distances.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have spare freewheels.

I'll be maintaining what's on my bike until it's time to replace it.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
On my shiftkit I've got White Industries Trails freewheels. They're very easy to take apart and service. Good part is no small bearings inside of them. Bad news one of them is about $100.