2 wire key ignition problem?

GoldenMotor.com

a0201618

Jul 22, 2012
Texas
I wired a 2 wire key ignition to the bike and you can only take the key out if it is in the off position. The problem is that it wont start in the on position but will start in the off position.. Which wouldnt be a problem but the key doesnt come out in the on position. Can anyone help me out? It is a 66cc motor with 3 wires from motor (only 2 are used) and 2 wires from kill button. Thankyou

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I use ignition key switches in my builds too but the key comes out in both position
If ON holds the key in then you wired the switch across hot and ground wires.
Just rewire the switch in-line with just the hot wire, which is called in serial, and run your ground as usual.
OFF no spark power, ON spark power and your kill button still works ;-}

a0201618

Jul 22, 2012
Texas
I use ignition key switches in my builds too but the key comes out in both position
If ON holds the key in then you wired the switch across hot and ground wires.
Just rewire the switch in-line with just the hot wire, which is called in serial, and run your ground as usual.
OFF no spark power, ON spark power and your kill button still works ;-}
There is no ground on it? its just 2 wires?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is no ground on it? its just 2 wires?
Your switch is just a set of contacts. If you put it in the position that the key can be removed the contacts are open. Cut the blue wire and wire your switch between where you cut it, it should work like you want. Turn it one way, the key stays in for riding then when you want to park and secure your bike turn it the other way, remove the key and the engine can't run unless someone 'jumps' out your switch.
I have a switch exactly like yours wired into an electric fuel pump circuit on a car. When I'm driving the key is in; when I park the car I turn the switch, remove the key and the fuel pump is inoperable because the switch is an open circuit to the fuel pump.

Tom

a0201618

Jul 22, 2012
Texas
Your switch is just a set of contacts. If you put it in the position that the key can be removed the contacts are open. Cut the blue wire and wire your switch between where you cut it, it should work like you want. Turn it one way, the key stays in for riding then when you want to park and secure your bike turn it the other way, remove the key and the engine can't run unless someone 'jumps' out your switch.
I have a switch exactly like yours wired into an electric fuel pump circuit on a car. When I'm driving the key is in; when I park the car I turn the switch, remove the key and the fuel pump is inoperable because the switch is an open circuit to the fuel pump.

Tom
Im sorry could you reword that ? I cant understand it?

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
use only one wire,blue or black. cut the wire in half where you want to mount key/switch. one end to one side of switch the other wire to second ,using only one color wire.hope that gets you going.peace