Need help with centrifugal clutch

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
so does that mean the clutch is operating correctly? if so, then why is it so noisy? today, it wont start at all. when i pull the pull start with the back wheel lifted up, the wheel moves when i pull the rope. it makes a whining noise like something is grabbing too hard and not letting the engine turn over. it makes the same noise when i roll the bike forwards or backwards.
If the rear wheel is turning while using the pull-start, then something is wrong.

The clutch shoes in the centrifugal clutch should be retracted inwards, allowing the pull-start to turn the crankshaft only, and not the bell, or the rest of the system.

When the engine is running and at idle, still the rest of the system should not turn. Only when you give it gas, the engine speed will increase and the clutch shoes will move outwards and grip the outer bell, then everything will move together.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Most likely, it is press fit to the taper on the crankshaft.
Some forum members here have been modifying their centrifugal clutches by adding a keyway.
Just pop it off and take a look to see what you have.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I called the company i bought it from they say it is keywayed, but because there is a column bolt, it will still only come off with a puller. the clutch is bolted to the end of the crankshaft. the end of the crankshaft is threaded, so what kind of puller do i need?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I called the company i bought it from they say it is keywayed, but because there is a column bolt, it will still only come off with a puller. the clutch is bolted to the end of the crankshaft. the end of the crankshaft is threaded, so what kind of puller do i need?
The puller should have come with your engine.
If you remove the bolt that holds the clutch to the crankshaft, you will see that the hole in the clutch itself is threaded. The tool threads into this and the end of it pushes on the end of the crankshaft, and the clutch will come out.

The tool is basically a long bolt that threads into the clutch, but the end in turned down smaller and smooth so that it can go into the hole in the crankshaft without hitting the crankshaft's threads until it bottoms out in the crankshaft and then you keep turning the bolt and the clutch will start to lift off of the crankshaft until it comes off.

Here is a pic:
View attachment 35227

Last edited by a moderator: