How to install the Clutch Cable?

GoldenMotor.com

geek

Jul 15, 2010
oklahoma city
I just bought an 80cc chinese kit. Everything is coming together, but I am stuck on the clutch cable assembly, and all of the videos and manuals online do not address the issue. The cable I have is, of course, the long black one, with the wire/cable coming out from one end. I can see how to attach the end into the arm on the motor. Now, my problem is that at the other end is some sort of L-shaped pipe at the other end, with some sort of flanged screw down thing at the other end. I looked for something to which I could attach it, but I find only a hand-brake device, which I know is the clutch lever, but I see nothing to which it would reasonably attach.

Can you help?

Thanks,
geek

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Pull the clutch lever open, you will see a hole in the handle the same size as the bullet end on the cable. Slide that part of the cabler into the hole. On the clutch handle there is two pieces on the end that screw on and off. One nut and one cone shaped nut. Each of them have a slot in it. Line up the slots with the slot on the handle and pull the wire through there. Then twist the nut and cone nut so the slots are not open. Run the cable however you like down your bike, put the bigger spring that comes with the kit over the cable first, run the wire through the open bolt that is sticking up off the engine before the clutch arm, slide the smaller spring on the wire then unscrew the little screw on the clutch arm, run the cable through there, adjust and tighten the scre up. Done. Hope that helps.

geek

Jul 15, 2010
oklahoma city
"Pull the clutch lever open, you will see a hole in the handle the same size as the bullet end on the cable. Slide that part of the cabler into the hole. ."

Well, Beej, my problem is that when i get to this point I don't have any more cable to feed down through the slotted nuts. Would you have any pics???

Thanks,
geek

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Are you using the right cable? The clutch cable should have the barrell nipple thing on one side then should have about a foot or more of loose wire out the other side with nothing on the end of the wire. The throttle cable will have the barrell at one end and a tiny barrell piece on the other. Got no pics here in my office.

geek

Jul 15, 2010
oklahoma city
OK, so the barrel thing with 1 foot cable is clutch cable. This is the one that you can pull out of the black tubing? The L shaped flanged pipe with the mounted nut cable is the accelerator, then? If so, my problem is half solved!

Thanks,
geek

Last edited: