Engine problems on new bike...Spark Plug?

GoldenMotor.com

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
You bought another chinese plug? That's asking for a failure down the road. The plugs often fail internally from vibration causing intermittent spark.

only1soe

Jun 19, 2008
It has black crud all over the bottom. A week or so ago I tried to get the crud off and even with it gone it didnt help. Friday I will ride it work and that will be the real test to how well the engine is working.

Should I keep the idle screw in a little bit more and keep the engine on idle even when I am at stops? Is that how everyone typically does it?

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
OK, the black crud indicates that your plug is oil-soaked. I think this can be remedied by moving the e-clip on the needle inside the carb 1 notch at a time towards the end (flat end, closest to the notches) to make your mixture a little leaner. When you get it set right, after a couple of miles of riding, the plug should turn to a chocolate brown color, and not look like crud. (I would start with a fresh plug to do this scientifically.)

When I ride, I have a nice, fairly slow but steady idle. When I come to a stop, I hold in the clutch, and it continues to run - just like a scooter or motorcycle.

You were not really hurting anything by having the motor shut off at every stop....mayyyyyybe it would cause unnecessary stretching of the connecting rod, but I doubt it, and mayyyyyybe causing a little extra wear on the clutch pads.

Be carefull when fooling around changing the e-clip...some people fondly call them "Jesus-clips" because you call him when the clip flies off into the twilight zone. When you put it on or take it off, do it with the open part of the clip UP, and do it over a towel...if it flies, it's going in the direction away from the open part of the clip.

You can search for threads on setting the mixture to get step by step instructions.

I have the NGK plug, and in all honesty, I don't see any difference from the stock plug, I think. Not a difference measurable by a human in my case...maybe a machine, but I can't really tell....but then again, everyone's got their own opinions :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It has black crud all over the bottom. A week or so ago I tried to get the crud off and even with it gone it didnt help. Friday I will ride it work and that will be the real test to how well the engine is working.

Should I keep the idle screw in a little bit more and keep the engine on idle even when I am at stops? Is that how everyone typically does it?
Keeping the engine running at stops is better for your bike than re-starting it every time. That kinda hard on the chain/spokes/ect.

Now, when you run it wide open, what happens? Does it run crappy all the time, or only at certain throttle settings?

only1soe

Jun 19, 2008
very seldomly do I run it wot but when I did it seems to run ok.

Since I ride on the beach side walk and they dont allow motors on bikes I like when the engine doesnt idle in bike peddling mode. If someone comes by me I simply just turn the throddle down and start peddling. I guess this doesnt help the engine so maybe I will just run the bike on streets

nosferatu

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Mine was doing the same thing and the wires were grounding to the frame. I separated them and put a loom on them. I would post a pick of the discoloration on the " stock" wire covers but they are buried.
It went kind of like this epithet epithet epithets, clean the carb, epithet epithets check fuel epithet epithets tighten every bolt epithet epithet, check spark. Ow what the epithet epithet. Unplug kill switch ran great hmmmmmm check wires wrap them still not fast as I want it to be but it runs again.

Last edited: