Theres a new motor bike in Davison

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
Just got my first build done. WOW!!!
Makes some weird noises that may or may not be typical of a motor bike. I think the chain is loud because it is such a tight fit on the sprocket. I read that I should touch the teeth with a file. It stalls easy which I attribute to tuning or break in or something.
Check out my pics.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sofa,
You're looking good. That will be a fun ride for you this summer. If I could make one suggestion that might keep you from having troubles it would be to secure the tensioner wheel bracket to the bike frame. Some of us use a bolt and nut, a 10/32 works great, and some use a self tapping screw. Whichever method you choose it is good insurance against the bracket loosening and rotating into your rear spokes.
It looks as if you could stand to loose one link, (actually two) then your tensioner wheel could be moved down to give you room for future tightening of the chain. The kit supplied chains are notorious for wearing (stretching) rather quickly and you'll want to be able to take up the inevitable slack that you'll get in short order. You also have room to move the rear wheel back a little which would also give you some tension adjustment. Good luck, ride careful and have fun.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Looks good. You've got the engine sitting at the perfect angle for your carb to be nice and level.
These Chinese engines make some wierd noises alright. I've had six and they all made noises, just some worse than others. Keep a close eye on your chain tensioner, they have a habit of tipping in towards the wheel if you dont use a set screw against the chainstay to hold it.

John

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I will pick up a new set of drill bits tomorrow and fix the tensioner. Thanks.
I was out of oil and gas for mixing so I used the gas for my chain saw which is 40:1. Is that ok? I read earlier that you can use a differant mix than is recommended. Whats the poop on this?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I would stick with the 20:1 for break in. Then go 32:1 or even a little leaner than that if you buy the highly concentrated Amsoil Sabre.

John

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
How critical is chain alignment. Its hard to see when looking past frame members and chain gaurds and stuff. The best way that I can see is the line up the mold marks on the engine (which are centered on the motor) with the top bar of the bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sofa,
Chain alignment is not super critical. I wouldn't go much past 1/4" to 3/8" lateral misalignment. If you engine is centered and the rear wheel is too, then any misalignment would be from the dished rear sprocket. The tensioner wheel alignment is more critical than engine to rear wheel. The tensioner guides the chain onto the rear sprocket while the engine is pulling and you want the chain centered when it engages the rear sprocket.
Tom

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I just noticed that the clip is missing from my master link. I know I had it seated properly on the link. Is there a special type of DEPENDABLE master link that I should use?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the closed end of a master link should face chain travel direction or it will come off.
it happened to me while riding at 30mph,i had the clip on backwards and it got knocked off. do not ride without clip on master link. walmart sells master links with there chain breakers$5 and with there chains$7.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
If you have a supplier nearby #41 roller chain works well. After having to pedal an overweight single speed cruiser about 8 miles after a chain break I always carry a spare!

:-||