Animated 2 Cycle Engine Cutaway View

GoldenMotor.com

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
When I see web pages like this I want to post them here. This is similar to the "Expansion Chamber" explanation in the Classic thread with the animation.

Most of us have some idea about how the 2 cycle engine works but there are always those who are young beginners or who are new to working with the 2 stroke and this could be of great benefit to them. These type of illustrations can explain much for those who are struggling to visualize thru text descriptions. Certainly an aid in learning. There are animations of many other forms of engines in the site too.

The Two Stroke Engine:

Animated Engines Two Stroke Cycle

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
A reed valve on the intake manifold would do it. Could salvage one from a cheap air compressor to test. I think new replacement reeds are pretty inexpensive from Granger. Stainless.

I don't know how much that reed box I've seen posted around retails for but I'm sure it could be built cheaply. Saw off most of the head of the compressor leaving the intake reed/s. Braze manifold connector tubing to both sides.

Ted

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Some of you may remember the discussions of the motor built into the wheel whereas the motor turns with the wheel. Can you imagine how that would work ? rotfl

We often make reference to the WW1 biplanes which had the propellor bolted to the motor and the motor bolted to the airplane. Thus the prop and engine housing served like a flywheel to keep the inertia going. So could this work in a MB wheel ?

Well, if you want a brain teaser..........just click that link to the animated motor in the first post and go to the bottom green box and click on the word "engines". You'll see a window come up with a list of different types of engines.(all of which are animations by the way)

In the first group "Internal Combustion".....there is a "GNOME" cycle engine. It has a poppet valve in the piston for intake and one in the head for the exhaust. Watch it turn and try to understand it. :D

And remember....these things burnt a mix of Castor Oil mixed with Gasoline.