Robin Subaru engine unrealistic maintenance?

GoldenMotor.com

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
honda 2 stroke atv's said to re ring every 6 hrs. some of them are still running fine 25 yrs latter. but back in the 70's we would at least re ring each week-end on the piston port cr 250's. and still blow em up!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah I don't think the Subaru is really that fragile? at least from my own experiences. All tho I don't own one of these motors. Willing to bet it is a awesome motor. Never heard anything bad about them ever..Chinese H.T. motor is another story might get 40 hours or 200 lol.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well so far Hart has gotten 7000 miles on a HT which I would imagine is 300 hours at least. He went from Texas to Tn then on to Wa. in a year.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well so far Hart has gotten 7000 miles on a HT which I would imagine is 300 hours at least. He went from Texas to Tn then on to Wa. in a year.
I don't wanna reinvent or blue print any more of those engineslaffWhen I can buy a engine that will run flawlessly for years right out of the box..such as this Subaru.. IMO we are not getting the whole story out of his fabulous China motor? I mean one in 5 might be a cool motor?

Are you traveling these days with a H.T. china girl George?:)

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I don't wanna reinvent or blue print any more of those engineslaffWhen I can buy a engine that will run flawlessly for years right out of the box..such as this Subaru.. IMO we are not getting the whole story out of his fabulous China motor? I mean one in 5 might be a cool motor?

Are you traveling these days with a H.T. china girl George?:)

I'm not hardly gettin out of the house now days pretty laid up with my ankle bein fractured probably need surgery I can't afford. I don't know much about Hart's HT motor but he did say he lost a trailer bein ran off the road by a big truck. I'm just goin by what he has said he did. here's the string about part of his trip http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40003&highlight=hart

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This thread has gone off topic...way off. Agree or disagree but don't show disrespect.
If you can't post an opinion without disrespect, then don't post. Ignore it and move on.

Tom

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Well, it seems to me that the OP's topic was well covered and not much else from our members could contribute to it. Dead horse like Yank said LOL lil more tact wouldn't hurt :~)

As long as the OP hasn't complained, and everybody is civil, what's wrong with letting it linger on and evolve, for those of us that are interested in the info available from the evoloution, instead of just letting it die?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well, it seems to me that the OP's topic was well covered and not much else from our members could contribute to it. Dead horse like Yank said LOL lil more tact wouldn't hurt :~)

As long as the OP hasn't complained, and everybody is civil, what's wrong with letting it linger on and evolve, for those of us that are interested in the info available from the evoloution, instead of just letting it die?
Wayne,
It can go as long as you guys want it to. All I'm asking is that respect is shown to those who have differing opinions. Some folks just can't seem to grasp that concept.

Tom

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Re: 4 strokes last longer than 2 strokes? That's debatable

I used to think that 4 strokes last longer and were superior to 2 strokes also, but I am reconsidering my opinion for several reasons:

1. "2 strokes rev higher than 4 strokes": false - 4,000 rpm on a 2 stroke is the same as 4,000 rpm on a 4 stroke, the only difference is that one has a power stroke on every stroke and the other every other stroke.

2. 2 strokes use new oil all the time, four strokes are using used oil that may possibly be out of viscosity range as it ages if it is not a quality oil, causing metal to metal contact. Additives can break down. Old oil can form sludge and clog oil passages. And small engines hold very little oil so it gets hot and can have thermal breakdown. The assumption with a 4 stroke is that if there's oil in there, then it has adequate lubrication - not true.

3. 2 stroke oil has come a long way since 30 weight motor oil was first used at high ratios like 16:1 New high quality oils run at 100:1 or leaner. 2 strokes last longer today because of better quality oils and are smokeless at the leaner mixes.

4. 4 strokes have a possibility of oil starvation - if a 2 stroke has fuel, it has lubrication

5. I adjusted the valves on a well known 4 stroke engine brand, and the metal holding the adjusting screws was brittle and snapped off. The engine had to be junked.

6. New 2 strokes are able to meet modern emission standards.

7. Between valve clearance adjustment on a 4 stroke, the engine is operating below optimum for a while until the valves are adjusted again. Many people don't want to mess with adjusting valves which can lead to engine damage.

8. 2 strokes have fewer moving parts to break.

So I'm seriously leaning towards purchasing a 2 stroke for my motorized bike.

Perhaps. That's one opinion.

Then again another opinion I've read and frequently heard voiced is 2 strokes are an out of date anachronism, particularly the cheap made in China variety. Belching smoke loaded with unburned gas and oil laden with heavy particulates and a dyspeptic exhaust note whine that challenges modern noise abatement standards. For some, 2 strokes are destined for the burying ground with a headstone that reads 'obsolete".

Different opinions for different folks, everyone makes up their own mind.
For the relatively low cost of any of the engine choices out there for motor assisted bicycles, myself I prefer the reliable, durable, lightweight and quiet 4 stroke engines and Robin Subaru is definitely one of the best of them in my experience that meets all of those objectives.

YMMV