motors

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello headtrama

What do you have in mind? 4-stroke, 2-stroke? In frame? Rear rack mount? This gets asked a lot and the best advice is use a vendor with good customer service.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
2-Stroke or 4-stroke? In frame or over the rear? (Hah! Fairracing beat me to the punch!)

There are many types of kits out there so you may wish to be more specific. Personally I like the "china girl" two stroke in-frame kits as they have the truest "motorcycle" look (my opinion). Of those kits there's little difference in quality no matter who you get it from but you might want to read some vendor reviews on this site and buy from someone you feel safe buying from. Most of the site sponsors are fairly reputable as sources.

I can't speak for the other engine or mount types as I don't use them.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I was steered to Grubee kits right off the bat, only used their Skyhawk motors, and bought them all from Motorized Bicycles - Bicycle Motors - Bicycle Engine Kits - Bike Motors - Bicycle Motor Parts so I can't speak for the others, but I am very happy with the Skyhawk and gasbike does tend to go out of their way even for small guys like me.

I wanted 3 black Skyhawks, 2 48's and a 66 on my last order.
They didn't have anything black in stock as a kit, but they DID have the motors stand alone.

I asked if he could just swap the motors out on other kits.
Apparently nobody had ever asked that before.
He got his supervisors OK and did just that for the same price as the kits he used (actually saved $27!).
That is the kind of service I will stick with even if it is not the best price, which so far has never been the case anyway.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I've build some with the Grubee engines and some without. I kinda think the quality is better with the Grubee motors but it's hard to say that with 100% certainty. If the price is the same or close, I'd go that route.

Most states require the motors be 50cc or less to be classified as "scooters" and therefore, street legal without registration, but it's hard to tell a 50cc motor from a 66cc motor so most people opt for the larger cans. Generally speaking if you go under 30mph and don't make a nuisance of yourself the cops probably won't give you more than an amused smile.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
i got my grubee sky-hawk anglefire GT5 motor from gasbike.net, but dont expect good customer service from them.