Is this cylinder usable?

GoldenMotor.com

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
About to build on a new dax bottom and I want to reuse this cylinder off an older build. This cylinder has about 800 miles on it. Hopefully you can clearly see the chipping of the chrome liner on the transfer port. Would you reuse this cylinder or chuck it in the scrap pile?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll get differing opinions on this. Personally I'd chuck it. A new cylinder won't cost much and would be cheap insurance. Once the plating starts to chip it will just get worse and then you might be looking at a new piston and rings, or worse if the debris gets into the bearings.

There is also some light scratching. Not bad but you're going to loose a little compression because of it.

Tom

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
Thank you 2door I needed someone to talk me out of it. I keep the cylinder to do practice port work. I order the majority of my parts from dax. He doesn't sell just a cylinder. Are any of the eBay sellers cylinders good quality? I've seen some pictures of them and I want to make sure I get a cylinder with the wider ports like the dax ones

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dax sells an 'upper rebuild kit' cylinder, piston, rings and gaskets. You might try calling him and ask about ordering just a cylinder.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I also agree with Tom,

NOW.... being a tinkerer like I am..., in a pinch I would bevel that chipped edge with a fine grit drum sander on the Dremel and there is a chance it would work just fine for a very long time, but....?????? if the plating is chipping because it isn't adhered to the jug like it should be then there is a very good chance that more will come loose and wreck the piston and maybe more.

I've got jugs I paid as little as $18-$23 for off ebay shipped right to my door in about 10-12 days from Mainland China, but i agree with Tom, I'd call Dax and see if he will sell you a jug only and just do it right and the chances of an issue is reduced considerably.

map
.wee.

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
I ended up buying the top end kit from dax. The cylinder with the chrome chipping I tested out spraying with VHT wrinkle coat plus on it see if it gave it a cool look. Thanks for you advice guys. Usually I do not have to ever post because every question has already been asked it seems!

chris8686

May 2, 2013
Bellingham
i tried hitting with my drum sander to chamber it out a little bit and it flaked off a little bit more so it is definitely a scrapper. I think I got my moneys worth out of it. Ill hold onto it to practice doing port work on.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I was going to post my opinion on this but it looks like you found out the right thing to do... usually once the plating starts to peel there's no saving them because it's almost always separated far past where it's missing. Some times you can save them, but in most cases you can't. Glad to see you experimented on the old cylinder, there's always a small chance you can save one, but they do make interesting paper weights and a good place to practice your porting skills so it's still worth keeping.
With the new cylinder, I've seen some that the plating actually overhangs into the ports so the new one may need a clean up at minimum before putting into service as these little overhangs will give the plating a starting place to separate. A light sanding chamfer is enough to prevent this by bringing the plating up even with the ports then chamfering around the outer edge.
That jug does look good, but I live in Texas where I'd be conearned with the heat not being able to escape past the thick paint efficiently enough. But black is good when you want max heat transfer since it'll absorb the heat. A thin coat of matte black on the jug & head, and wrinkle finish everything else would look really nice and run nice and cool.