4G is like a SAAB Sonnet

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Many years ago, I owned two Saab Sonnet cars. Not at the same time, but one after the other. They were sooo cool. A three cylinder, two stroke engine with a four speed and Free Wheeling.

The free wheeling feature is what I'm talking about. If you took your foot off the gas, the car would disconnect from the engine and coast free until you put your foot back on the pedal.

My 4G MB does exactly that because of the freewheel sprocket in the transmission. I don't like to make lots of noise. So rather than run the engine constantly, I take it up to speed then dial back on the throttle and let it coast. I really like riding that way.

I've read of people who have welded their freewheels to make them solid. I don't know for sure, but I don't think I would like that as well.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I was forced to weld mine when it grenaded after i rode it 5 bocks the very first time i rode it. them "Upgraded" one way bearings are still a total joke, 9 ball bearings total in it, and there is room for 15. I enjoy the engine braking effect tho, my straight pipe growls and its easier for my coaster brake to scrub off speed.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It's even more pronounced with a shift kit. Getting on and off the throttle smoothly with 3 chains and that freewheeling takes some finesse!

I'm still running the infamous 11T freewheel. I must have got a Wednesday-built one or something, it hasn't fragged itself yet!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I drove 3cylinder Saabs for years. Owned several Sonnets also. If you had a 3cyl Sonnet you owned a rare car indeed! I also had to weld the one way in my 4G. I much prefer the engine braking. In hilly areas like mine long down hills while free wheeling were hard on brakes. Now the engine handles it pretty much.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Cannonball

I always thought they were Sonnets. Couldn't swear to it now, 45 years later. For sure though was 3 cylinder 2 stroke with freewheeling. I really enjoyed them.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
All this talk about the extra slack in the driveline and chain slap with the jackshaft assembly makes me not want one at all! I think I'd rather have more power and just one chain or a tranny at the engine side, I hate derailleurs on top of that, they're a PITA when the cables stretch and start acting up during a ride.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
TBH 16v, you probably won't like a shift kit then. Keeping the derailleur adjusted properly is much more critical with a motor than without.

Even with an internally geared hub the shift mechanism must be set perfect or close to it. A maladjustment can be brutal.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Cannonball

I always thought they were Sonnets. Couldn't swear to it now, 45 years later. For sure though was 3 cylinder 2 stroke with freewheeling. I really enjoyed them.
The little tear drop shaped sedan was a model 93, later a 96. The wagon was a 95. The Sonnet was a 97. The Sonnet was a fiberglass coupe built on a shortened 96 floor pan I believe less than 200 were 2 stroke, the balance were Ford V4 engine powered as were the later 95 and 96s. They were all cool little cars. They freewheeled to keep the engine from starving from lack of oil when coasting. I owned 12 of the little beggers at one time.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My buddy had one of those 2 stroke Saabs when I was in high school. it had a three on the tree with electric overdrive.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My buddy had one of those 2 stroke Saabs when I was in high school. it had a three on the tree with electric overdrive.
My dad talked me out of buying one when I was in my late teens. He reminded me that we lived in Mansfield; how or where would we get parts? (No internet back then.)
While he had a valid argument, I still would have like to had the Saab.

You know, Saab Drakens had a kind of turbine engine. And they were wicked fast. Wouldn't mind joyriding in one of those meself.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My dad talked me out of buying one when I was in my late teens. He reminded me that we lived in Mansfield; how or where would we get parts? (No internet back then.)
While he had a valid argument, I still would have like to had the Saab.

You know, Saab Drakens had a kind of turbine engine. And they were wicked fast. Wouldn't mind joyriding in one of those meself.
I remember a similar 3-cylinder 2-stroke backwards teardrop shaped car my dad had. Don't remember it being a Saab, but the engine was a DKW and it had suicide doors and those flip out turn signals similar to some old VW bugs. I think the car was a DKW but don't quote me on that. It was late 50's or early 60's.

As far as freewheeling on 4-strokes go, I prefer not. I like the engine compression braking as my 212cc Predator doesn't even really need a rear brake due to the engines ability to slow it down quickly, but to each their own ;)

It's even more pronounced with a shift kit. Getting on and off the throttle smoothly with 3 chains and that freewheeling takes some finesse!

I'm still running the infamous 11T freewheel. I must have got a Wednesday-built one or something, it hasn't fragged itself yet!
Don't worry Caleb......it will, I promise :D

dnut

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The DKW was part of the Auto Union and preceeded the Saab if I am remembering correctly. The Saab engineering was licsenced from DKW and the engines were very similar. One model of the DKW did look similar to the VW, I believe even having the same headlights under glass the bugs had. A very rare car in the states. I dont remember the DKW having the backwards opening doors, but the early Saabs did, but these memories are 40+ years old also so you are probably right. Cool little cars, were called corn poppers in slang because of the sound the 2 stroke made.

On the 4G, I have heard that belt wear might be an issue with the engine braking. Mine has a lot of riding and still is running the original belt which looks fine.