coaster brake shoes removed

GoldenMotor.com

bighat

May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Any info on what to expect when one removes the two brake actuators from within a coaster brake hub? I've logged about 50 kilometers on it and it seems to be fine. I'm was able to reverse peddle one rotation of the front sprocket before a crunchy grinding noise sounded during testing. That one rotation must be applied forward before the wheel can turn again. I just do not reverse peddle and as mentioned, it's working well...for now.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Check your bearings! sounds to me that what happened when you backpedaled was you tightened the axle against the bearings. That would defo explain why the wheel wouldnt move again until you pedaled forward. i would bet my bottom dollar you damaged your bearings. check the races too. if the bearings put scratches or divots in the races, then you will end up needing a new wheel. that hub is no good once you scratch or gouge the races, because then you have soft spots, and even under normal use, the bearings will continue digging further into the races, and eventually dig so far in they will get stuck. when that happens, your wheel will lock up. if your going 20 or 30 mph, your bike will stop, but you wont. put that coaster brake back on. if you scratched your bearing races, you need a new wheel. if you damaged bearings, you need new bearings BEFORE they scratch the races. if you dont replace bad bearings, they WILL scratch the races, and then youll need a new wheel anyway. most likely you didnt scratch the races yet, but check anyway. put the brake back on and replace the bearings.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
even with the brake arm removed, a coaster brake hub will not freewheel (pedal freely in reverse). why, you say? two reasons. for one, a freewheel hub uses a ratchet type mechanism where there are two sets of teeth. spin the hub one direction, the teeth catch each other and cause the hub to move in that direction. in the opposite direction, the teeth dont catch, allowing the hub to freewheel. a coaster brake hub does not have that mechanism. the other reason is that in a non freewheel hub, the rear pedal sprocket is threaded onto another piece which is threaded onto the axle. reverse pedaling causes those two threaded pieces to tighten against one another, which pushes the brake actuators against the other side of the hub, stopping the wheel. remove the actuators, and the hub keeps tightening, squeezing the bearings and possibly bending the axle itself.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am not a fan of a coaster brake as anything but a 3rd emergency brake.
I'll take a set of rim brakes front and rear to dual-pull lever as my primary brake every time and of course discs over that.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thats all fine, well, and good, but when you have a bike that is designed with a coaster brake, even if you dont use it, you need all the components properly installed and working just to ensure proper operation of the hub. I personally have a coaster brake/rear hand brake combo, and have never had any problems. Been running this setup for almost two years now. I ride slower in the rain just out of pure caution, and the coaster brake alone is adequate. Hand brakes dont work too well in the rain. If you want to install disc or drum brakes on any bike, you have to have rims and a frame that they can be adapted to. Beach cruisers dont come that way, and they are not cheap or easy to convert. Coaster brakes are not the best type of brake to rely on, but they should never be removed unless you have the proper setup that allows for their removal.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I love my coasters. I find them very reliable and maintenance free. But I wouldn rely on them only, on a motorized bike.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
On my Lifan bike since it is pedalless I removed the guts to the coaster. One advantage is an extra bearing(3 total) sharing the load on the dive side versus the standard 2 bearing hub. I realize this is not exactly the same as on a bike with a pedal drive, but a coaster hub can make a viable freewheeling wheel. I have even run them on the front.