The Rustoration Build Off

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I can't think of a better solution to your problem! Anything Norm might 'slap together' is better than most of us can do with a year working on it. Awesome! We're going to want photos when you're done with Sam on the bike, California cruisin'...
SB
your right :D i will get some new photos when i get it back. I was thinking ape hanger :D

Sam

DOMIT

Jul 21, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello Rust-Lovers!!! Today, instead of making 4 or 5 posts about this little Cleveland Welding bike I built in early '05 I will just give you the link to it.

I dunno where i have the build on the Green Cleveland, and if I cannot find that build I can write it up again.

I wrote this up on my website to show off her bike, but also to give people a clue what an old bike can be made into.

Enjoy!

Mike

Circa 1955 Cleveland Welding Motorbike
Sweet! That frame is just begging for a "Board Tracker" style tank though. ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
umm... DOMIT, hate ta tell ya this but yer replying to posts that are about a half year old or so...

Not to say that ya can't or it's not appreciated ofc, but I imagine these things have been either solved or given up on by now lol

mebbe not, actually - I don't remember what happened with bairdco's lil bike o_O

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the little bike has been painted, got new rims and spokes laced up to the old hubs, new tires, etc.

now it hangs in the shed, 'cause it's impossible for anyone over 4' to ride it. i'm glad i never got a motor on it, because i would probably crash it right out of the gate.

(but, the idea's still in the back of my mind. because i could make a motor fit...)

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Well it looks like it's nearly time to reawaken this thread. I think Barely awake is to blame for this as he turned me on to this thread and guided me on picking my major components. I poured over the thread for months now on and off admiring the handy work of all guilty parties while I quietly gathered parts. I'll try to put as many details as possible especially my mistakes so others can learn along with me.I'll start with the components.The subject will be a late 40's J.C.Higgins mens bike I got from a friend of mine. It was in a shed for years(good) then left outside when the property was leveled(bad) and run over at some point(very bad).

So far I've bought the following parts. A Solar carbide headlight(rough)from evil bay $30, Felt quick Brick tires $60,Sturmey archer 90mm drum brake generator front hub and 3spd 70mm drum brake rear hub $151, SBP shift kit and bottom bracket adaptors $256, Wheelsmith stainless steel spokes and labor for rethreading of the wheels $120,Grubee 80cc motor kit and Macargi alloy rims from my friends at Pirate cycle I forget the price. Some of the parts will be scavenged from my previous build like the motor and rims. The first bike was a test mule to try some ideas out. I wanted to build something different but Barely awake and I have similar taste and ideas so I will probably come off as a copy cat but I'll try to mix it up.

Attachments

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
I definitely like the frame you are using, and have to agree that barely has great ideas and great rides to show for those ideas. He has taught me a lot about these motors and has givin me ideas about different builds as well. cant wait to see this ride get built.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol thanks guys, but TBH I wouldn't have built the Rollfast if it wasn't for this forum - browsing around and checkin' out everyone's fine builds gave me the motivation to build my own is all ;)

rupp - do please feel free to post your progress here if you'd like, but I gotta say that your J.C.Higgins is totally deserving of it's own build thread, there's the problem that it'd be sorta "buried" in this one what with the seven hundred some-odd posts...

Oh and BTW that's one sweet bike to work with, I'm srsly digging the fatty fenders (^)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
lol thanks guys, but TBH I wouldn't have built the Rollfast if it wasn't for this forum - browsing around and checkin' out everyone's fine builds gave me the motivation to build my own is all ;)

rupp - do please feel free to post your progress here if you'd like, but I gotta say that your J.C.Higgins is totally deserving of it's own build thread, there's the problem that it'd be sorta "buried" in this one what with the seven hundred some-odd posts...

Oh and BTW that's one sweet bike to work with, I'm srsly digging the fatty fenders (^)
My thinking exactly. I agree with Barely that your build deserves a thread of its own. The original rustoration thread became unwieldy, making it hard to find the jewels of information there. On the other hand if you want it to become an extension of this one, that's your business and I for one will follow it to see your progress.
I also admire that frame... different and nice lines. It looks to me like the foundation of a great build and your plans sound excellent. The Rollfast is a good one to emulate, one of my favorite builds on this whole forum.
SB

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
It will be awile before I do anything because I'm waiting on parts so I'll start with what didn't work. I had total brake failure twice with coaster brakes due to the brake arms failing. Why? I'm 225lbs. and live in a hilly/mountainous area and it's too much for a single coaster brake. The bearings would need repacking after 50 miles or so and it was just miserable after awhile.

The second is the gas tank. I built it out of heavy gauge steel shelving which seemed to be ok. The problem was I tried to use a bronze fitting for a filler spout. I guess bronze doesn't bond well with steel and it doesn't hold up well to vibration. I brazed it slopily because it was hard to do and tried to seal the seem with jb weld. The J.B weld either broke down from the fuel or didn't bond well to the bronze. The jb weld craked and flaked off and the steel started to crack around the filler which then plugged the petcock fitting. Too heavy? to much vibration almost certainly. I used the the same glass bowl filter as Barely awake but was used from an old generator. I believe is didn't alow enough fuel flow at high rpms and caused a surge at top speed. Lastly on the tank it contacted the frame on the bottom of the front part of the tank. This cause an annoying buzzing noise and probably contributed to the tank cracking.

There where several smaller problems not worth mentioning but will try to correct on this build and will point out those areas. I posted the prices I paid not because I'm bragging but because this is an open book build. I'm actually horrified that I dropped this much money on a motor bicycle. I justify it by the fact that I like to build these bikes and even I was suprised how much I enjoyed the test mule bike and intend on making this as reliable as I can with the money I can scrounge up.

That's it for now, I think the next post will be planing the build which I invite you all to share your opinions and ideas. I will also call on you for help at times through the build because I'm still a noob and it will be fun.

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Best thread ever.
Sticky time me thinks..covers everything..building,repairing,paint...tuning..
Great pics and vids.
from the best builders here or anywhere!

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Yup. Got pulled over doing 55 drafting a box van. The cop was gonna pull the van over for speeding, then saw me three feet off his bumper.

He freaked out on me for a while, but let me go with a warning.

Then I flipped over the bars on it at 45 when the front brake locked up and lost my enthusiasm for fast, toy bikes. There's an old thread on that. "Over the bars and straight to the hospital."