Getting a title in Tennessee?!!??!?!

GoldenMotor.com

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
Its been awhile since I posted about my bike because parts are coming in slow. My thread is found here http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42455 . My question is about registering and titling my bike. I can't find anything on getting a title nor can I find anything on requirements my bike must meet. Anything I can find is on homebuilt frames which requires you to have receipts for everything. For one my frame isn't home built for two its ancient and there's no chance of me getting a receipt. Any help would e greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here in AZ if you get someone to write you up a Bill of Sale it makes the process much easier to register a motorized bicycle. Maybe a Bill of Sale would help?

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
I'm pretty sure a Bill of Sale will be next to impossible for me to get because the bike is ancient and just kinda been hanging around forever and didn't really belong to anyone. Also even if it has pedals and can be human powered it wont be considered a motorized bicycle because of my motor size. I will have to title it as a motorcyle for it to e legal.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I used to live in Jamestown Tn back in the day I doubt anyone would care but now days...if you have any friend running a used car lot I bet they would know how to get this done. You might have luck registering it as an antique motorcycle biggest problem is no vin number. Good luck & keep us posted I may retire to Tn in the future be good to know.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I simply lie about the size. Under 50cc is legal in TN so I run a 49cc engine (Honest officer! It's only 49cc!):p

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here in Tennessee they also have a classification of motor driven cycle. You're allowed up to 125 cc and 5 HP. Many of your more than 50 cc mopeds, pocket bikes and street legal dirt bikes fall into this category. Call the DMV and find out what is required to put a motor driven cycle on the street.