Illegal in ny.=====sucks

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As there have been some concerns brought to our attention, please consider the following;

This section is specifically for the discussion of the legal standing of motorized bicycles and somewhat reluctantly, mopeds as motorized bicycles are defined by in some states.

While currently motorized bicycles may be illegal in NYS, the recommendation, discussion and procedure for registering 200+ cc motorcycles complete with VIN, title, registration & inspection will not help in any way to change that nor is it applicable. If the intent is to build a motorcycle and have it titled & inspected as such - then by both our definition and theirs it is not a motorized bicycle, which makes the discussion if it's legalization irrelevant to this subforum specifically as it has nothing to do with complying, defining or otherwise contributing to the legalization of motorized bicycling, it may even be detrimental.

Additionally, as this is an international forum and while we have a 'Laws and Legislation' section - it is not to be used for unrelated political rhetoric. As such only serves to cause offense and conflict, it is a violation of our rules. Please attempt to confine such discussion to what is relevant to the topic at hand - motorized bicycling in New York State.

If you desire to discuss or debate unrelated politics and/or vehicular classifications other than motorized bicycles, there are many other forums and blogs dedicated to such and thus, far better suited for those interests.

Thank you for your consideration.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Enough political ranting. Take it somewhere else. I'm sure if you search the Internet you can find many places that welcome it. Not here and not with the disrespectful comments.
You've also been told about the bold font type. Any future posts will be edited to remove it.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
it's not universally bad. Many states have reasonable attitudes for MBs. I think it's excessive to require licensing and redistration for a china girl size bike, but if it's just a matter of a few dollars I could live it.
Pa . requiered registration an titleing of mine after the initial enhanced inspection buy a motor cycle shop , total costs involved around 300 bucks 1 time ,an it must be insured , an you must have a valid drivers licence but after that no inspection 9 bucks a year registration . it didnt seem to bad to me , but wow ny !
Gary:-||

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Pa . requiered registration an titleing of mine after the initial enhanced inspection buy a motor cycle shop , total costs involved around 300 bucks 1 time ,an it must be insured , an you must have a valid drivers licence but after that no inspection 9 bucks a year registration . it didnt seem to bad to me , but wow ny !
Gary:-||
Yeah, that's not great, but at least it is do able, and now you can ride without worrying about the man.

If MBs ever become popular enough you can lobby for reasonable changes to be made to the law.

I know Pa is a big motorcycle state like Texas. Here motorcycle rights groups have been very successful fending off unreasonbale laws dealing with bikes.

We've repealed a state helmet law twice, and also got the state to accept MSF courses for licenses.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Is it just me, or is that font hard to read?
I tried to read it, but after about 2 sentences in, into the original post, I gave up.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Is that better, Rohm ? :)
Tom
No change, Kiwegapawa's posts are still is some weird font.

I went through the whole thread and managed my way thru the non-standard font, and sadly, no useful info was gleaned.

Oh, well, another one for the Banned Bin.

Last edited:

Huckthe1

Mar 30, 2012
NY
I guess I have to ask what can we do to get this law changed? It is ridicules that I can ride a bicycle on the road with no issues but my bike with a 49cc motor mounted on it is not even allowed to be ridden pretty much anywhere.

Laws are made to protect public safety. I do not see any different safety concerns than a regular bike. I understand we should ride safely giving vehicles the right of way and no type of bike allowed on highways or limited access roads, but I do not see this complete ban of motorized bicycle. Maybe the state just needs a way to make money from them to accept motorized bicycles?

Yes NY laws suck. We pay more taxes and get less it seems. I can't believe that I could be thrown in jail for just riding my motorized bicycle. We need to look at what we can do to change this law instead of just complaining about this. I am not sure where we could start but am willing to push for the use of this fuel efficient mode of transportation. I am wondering what the media thinks about this?

Huckthe1

Mar 30, 2012
NY
NY DMV reply to my email

Below is the response I got from the NY DOT when I wrote asking how to make my bike legal to ride in NY state. I also wrote to my senator and waiting for a response.
I am picking at it like a sore...
:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for inquiring. This is the first time I've been asked questions about motor assisted bicycles. Not knowing the answers and as a courtesy, I searched the subject on a computer using Google. I searched "NYS motor assisted bicycle" and chose the following NYS DMV website: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/recreation.htm There is a section titled: Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles. This section answers your questions.

NYSDOT is not the regulatory agency that deals with these legal questions. I recommend you contact local enforcement authorities for more assistance with any other legal questions since that is most likely how you would be arrested or ticketed.

Sincerely,

Bruce Cunningham
Landscape Architect

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 10:06 PM
To: Cunningham, Bruce (DOT)
Subject: Motor Assisted Bicycles

Can you please tell me what is required to make a motorized assisted bike legal? I have read about people having these confiscated. These are still bikes and I am not trying to make it into a motorcycle. I have a bad knee and use the assistance of the motor to get me up hills and get me home if I have wandered too far to make it home on my own. I see electric bikes for sale locally and I see no difference between electric and gas.

I just do not wish to be arrested or ticketed for riding my bike. I do not wish to spend thousands of dollars to make my bike into a motorcycle. If I was going to do that i would buy a motorcycle.

Please help clarify NYS stance.

Last edited:

Huckthe1

Mar 30, 2012
NY
I contacted my Senator and discussed this issue with him. I told him these are still bikes and should be allowed on the road. I also discussed I have seen electric bikes being sold in the area and it is not right to allow one without the other. We chatted about how as long as the bike is ridden safely that there should not be this issue. I also discussed the way the law states we can't ride on the roads because they are not registered and there is no way to register the bikes without turning it into a full motorcycle which is ridiculous. I told him of the confiscation of bikes and he was as upset as if it had happened to him. He told me he would look into this and see what he could find out and do.

I advise everyone from NY to contact their Senator and bring up how this law needs to be changed.I will post any reply I get from him.

billy14870

Oct 16, 2012
Painted Post
I built a motorized bicycle in the beginning of June 2012 and I have been riding it around all over the place for the whole summer, and I even rode it to school like three times. I live in a small town in Stuben county where there are only three local police, I have rode past each one of the many times. And I have also ridden by the state police a few times. No Police ever said anything about it to me, there was one state police who saw me at the gas station and said nice build and laughed. But one day when I was riding home and i heard a police siren so I pulled over. The same police who I had ridden by many times before pulled me over and at the time I was 15, he said i needed to be 16 to operate a motorized vehicle and he said i needed to have all the proper equipment that a motorcycle mush have. Maybe he had a bad day and felt like pulling me over because a few weeks earlier I rode right up to his patrol car window with the motor on and asked him where the nearest atm was and he told me, then i threw the bike in gear and started it and he didnt say anything. So at this point I have started putting lights on it. He didn't tell me what was required so I had to look up the list of required equipment for a motorcycle. He said it would have to be brought up to the requirements of a class b moped. I called the dmv and asked about registering my home made motorized bike, and the guy laughed and said bicycles don't need to be registered.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I just looked this up out of curiosity on the dmv website. Direct quote.

Motor Assisted Bicycles

Mopeds (Limited Use Motorcycles)

Are there any special requirements to operate a limited use motorcycle (moped) in NYS?

The Vehicle and Traffic Law defines a limited use motorcycle as "a low-speed vehicle with two or three wheels." Terms frequently used for limited use motorcycles are "mopeds" and "motor scooters."

The requirements to operate a moped are like those for motorcycles. You must have a driver license and you must register a moped to drive it on streets and highways. The exceptions to these requirements are listed in the table below. You can never operate a moped on a sidewalk.

The DMV certifies a moped as a Class A, Class B or Class C limited use motorcycle according to top speed. The manufacturer requests the certification through the DMV Technical Services Bureau. Only a DMV-certified model of limited-use motorcycle can get a registration in NYS. The phone number for the Technical Services Bureau is (518) 474-5282.

To register your moped, bring the following to a DMV office:
•A completed form MV-82 (Registration / Title Application).
•A completed form DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction for Sales Tax ) or proof of exemption or tax paid. The requirements and forms for mopeds are the same as those for motor vehicles. See the information about sales tax.
•Proof of ownership, normally the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO), a bill of sale or a previous registration that was transferred to you.
•Proof of identity.
•Cash, check or credit card for the fee. Pay the fees and required sales tax.

Guide to Limited-use Motorcycle Requirements

Class
Determined by Range of Top Speed

A
Over 30 mph
to 40 mph

B
Over 20 mph to
30 mph

C
20 mph or less

License/Permit Required

Class M/MJ 1

Any Class 1

Any Class 1

Registration Required?

YES

YES

YES

Headlight on When Operating?

YES

YES

YES

Helmet and Eye Protection Required?

YES

YES

Recommended

May Operate On

Any Traffic Lane

Right-hand Lane or Shoulder Only 2

Right-hand Lane or Shoulder Only 2

Insurance Required?

YES

YES

Recommended 3

Inspection Required?

YES

Recommended

Recommended

Title Required?

NO

NO

NO

1.Learner permit restrictions apply to all permit classes. Junior operator restrictions apply to class DJ and MJ permits and driver licenses. See Graduated License Law (Junior Drivers).
2.Except when making a left turn.
3.Class C moped used in a rental business must be insured.

Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles

You cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in NYS. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways in NYS. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.
•Motorized Scooter - a device with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider. An example of a motorized scooter is the device called the Go-ped®.
•Mini-bike - a small, motorized device with two wheels and created for off-road use. A mini-bike does not qualify as a moped, a motorcycle or an ATV.
•Dirt Bike - a motorized device like a motorcycle, but created for and used for off-road use. Some "dirt bikes" qualify as an ATV. These vehicles can register and operate off-road as an ATV.
•Go-Kart - a small, motorized device with four wheels, created for off-road use. You cannot register a go-kart as a motor vehicle or ATV because a go-kart does not have the same equipment.
•Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

I have been all excited lately, riding my motorized bicycle around to work and back. Oh well. I am going to keep doing it respectfully and hope for the best. I'm trying to sell 2 of them right now. Oh well. buzz killer..duh..

Go electric (Crystalyte HS3540) then if a bicycle does not suddenly "have the correct equipment on it" once you bolt a small gas engine to it. That's the craziest thing I EVER heard. LMAO Man I thought Kalifornia was screwed up. No cop will even know it's electric from a distance and it's near dead silent. The range is not the same but the speed is.