Motor bogging at start up low speed

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Eh well its working now after i added some more lube to the slide an throttle cable and took the time to adjust the barrels,cleaned the spark plug as well.Its also not bogging at all now i rode around for about two hours tonight trying to get some miles in it an my next tank should be ready for 40:1 mixture from there on out.

The funny thing is when i put on my new blue led wheel valves,my engine started running the way its suppose to..I think i have found a new fix to these engines LOL Led lights rock when going down the block!!

zendiecut

Apr 4, 2009
Boston suburb
One thing no one ever mentions in these blogs is that when these things are new, they are very tight. Using gas/oil mix as specified for break in takes some time. It could be that the plug is fouling periodically, then clearing itself. Be patient. I had to go through my 2 tanks of break in fuel, change the fuel mixture to the recommened post break in ratio before the thing really started cruising. Hows 33mph!! Clocked with a gps no less.
As for the vibrations, make sure the engine is mounted perfectly straight and all the mounts are tight. Don't give up. These things are a blast!!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
My bike is still up an running almost perfectly,I've notice alot of performance gain after i put in a new tank of gas.Although it is running to rich but the mechanic down the street told me to let it break in and then go about messing with the needle slide if needed to be done..

There is quite a few people here asking me if i could build them a MB.There is nobody else here in town that rides or sells these MB'S an i defiantly could make some good money..So any input for starting to install an sell would be great!I'd rather them furnish their own bike an money up front to order the kit and then i would install it for them for a reasonable fee.Has anyone done anything like that?Would it be possible to do so?If not would i be better off finding cheap/free bikes to install an then advertise them to sell?Any input on this would be great,thanks!

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
aaron- I looked into the same thing- building these out for people- and the biggest hurdle is LIABILITY. You are basiaclly putting together a vehicle from scratch, and unless you are a certified bike mechanic as well as a small engine tech, you are taking other people's lives in your hands. People in this country like to sue people. So if you were to start an actual legit business doing the build outs, you would need an ironclad waiver of liability if anything mechanically should go wrong or if the person injures themselves..

Also, I posted mine up on Craigslist here locally trying to do the same thing (indie biz) and all I got were other people asking where I got the kit from, if I had this or that spare part, or they would mysteriously disappear and not reply back once I told them there was a waiver of liability that needed to be signed in order to purchase..

I was building mine out with lights and blinkers to appease local laws too, so after parts were all factored in, it was $580-$620 MY cost on the new bike/new engine/lights, and people didn't bite at a MB that ran $800, which really for the amount of labor involved wasn't a lot for labor.

If you can figure out a way, let me know. Chances are you might have some competition though as I'm moving back to Chicago in the not to distant future! haha...

zendiecut

Apr 4, 2009
Boston suburb
I live 20 miles west of Boston, and actually just finished installing a 49cc kit for a guy that saw me running around on my Schwinn Point Beach. He supplied the bike, a Rat Fink chopper (check them out online). This second build took some time as I had to build custom mounts to accomodate for the wide back tire. The engine is mounted about 1/2" to the left of center frame. I had to figure out the mounting of the sprocket to allow use of the coaster brake. I just bought a hole saw big enough for the brake housing flange, then made a holder for the sprocket that had a pilot hole for the hole saw bit. worked great.

I'll try to upload some pictures of both bikes.

To answer your question, it could work either way. They could supply the bike (like my guy did) or you could buy bikes. My suggestion is that you have the customer pony up the money for the bike and kit. Then they pay you the balance for installation when the bike is complete. Just be up front about what the total cost is. Nothing says you have to break down the costs. Just give them a total.

I thinking of doing as a side line. Once you get the build details down, you can put these things together pretty fast. Custom bikes should cost extra as there could be many issues to overcome. Good luck.

zendiecut

Apr 4, 2009
Boston suburb
And yes, liability is an issue. Talk to a good attorney about what you need to do there. You could over come that issue if you do a semi-supervised build. Where they actually build the bike and you supervise. Now your talking about liability for them in your shop. You can buy insurance for that. Either way, talk to an attorney.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Of course there would be a waiver involved in such a transaction.There are two guys that would like me to build on their bikes on the first of next month when they receive their "disability checks" i told them if they have the bike,i could help them out with a small fee that way they will be learning during the process as well and I'm not reliable for anything else than helping build it up.Alot of kids around here are stopping me asking me the common questions,an personally i wouldn't sell it around here to another kid my age.I am 17 an my town is full of the druggies little thugs running around trying to make the "dough" Before seeing the motorized bike kits,i use to ride MB 2000 miles a year an decided what the heck why not put a engine on my current bike (giant,diamondback) I know i could make some serious money around here with the fact that there is nobody else selling these here an because of the gas prices.I'm the type of person that will not give up on helping people an will do things right,eh I also build computers but i just don't have the money to buy components an resell computers or else i would!Well enough about me lol,I appreciate the information guys an will be looking into it thank you:D

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
Cool. Just make sure you have your bases covered on the liability thing. it's definitely a CYA (cover your a$$) situation in marketing and selling.. so far I have only had 1 taker on the signing of the waiver, and I've been marketing the bike(s) here in Michigan with free delivery throughout west Michigan since April.