Clutch Issues?

GoldenMotor.com

Dead66

May 11, 2016
Pawleys Island
I finally started and rode my first bike yesterday. It ran well and I drove around for 20 minutes or so. But I had to tighten my clutch cable a couple times. Not because the set screw was slipping on the cable, but because it was necessary to pull the clutch arm further over to get it to disengage.

Is this normal?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
my old 'puter don't do utube, but new cables will stretch about 1/8 inch over first few days & chain will stretch 1/2 over first couple weeks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's a hint: When the bike is parked, leave the clutch lever in the locked (disengaged) position. This will hasten the clutch cable stretch problem.

And yes, it is normal for the cable to stretch at first and require some adjustment. Leaving the clutch disengaged, lever locked, will reduce the number of times you need to adjust tension.

As for tension; you want little to no slack in the cable. Don't make it bow string tight but just so there is as little slack as you can get without putting pressure on the bucking bar and clutch actuator system. Be sure to lubricate the cam, bucking bar and ball bearing with a good grade of bearing grease.

Good luck. Let us know how it works following these suggestions.

And where the heck is, Pawleys Island?

Tom

Last edited: