To Motorize or not to Motorize that is the question?

GoldenMotor.com

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I just bought this off Ebay cheap and dont know whether to keep it original or to put a Raw roundhead motor on it. I got it cheap and it is far from being in mint condition. What do you think? Would like to hear ideas and opinions....

Attachments

Last edited:

raneyd

Doug in Wyoming
May 16, 2008
Your bike is a nice original, and with the Coke theme, one that will always draw attention (plus never be worth less than it is today).

There are a lot of cruiser style frames similar to this that could be motorized and you would have a bike similar to your Coke bike but with with a motor.

If it were mine (and I wish it was) I would keep the Coke bike original and I would build my motorized cruiser using a frame or bike that is not as unique and collectible.

Mine is likely the minority opinion, good luck which ever way you go.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Slap a motor on that puppy and use the tank as a fuel tank :)

If you want it as a collectible, restore it and put it away. If you just want a cool bike, throw a motor on it :)

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
I posted on the Huffy Cruiser thread to go for it with a roundhead. Maybe that's because I like Pepsi. ;)

I don't know what the value to a Huffy collector would be. Are there any? Maybe it might mean something to a Coke collector?

If you could make a mold of that tank you might be able to sell a few. Or even that one if you decide you don't want to keep the bike.

Keep us posted.

Ted

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Coca-Cola memorabilia fanatics would be the people most interested in it as a collectors item. There are plenty of Coke collectors in Georgia.

I agree with raineyd. I would keep it original (space permitting) and find a cheaper cruiser frame to motorize.

If you do decide to motorize it, try to maintain as much originality as possible and mount
a fuel tank on a rear cargo rack or something. Cheers

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
It is a nice bike!
You could go with a hub motor and still retain all the original-ness by removing the electric parts later, if desired. :D

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
unless you're a coke collector, or hope to make money with the bike off of a coke collector, don't worry, be happy :)

AlphaLlama

Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, Cali
Paint part of your engine coca cola red, buy a few coke emblems and glue them to the
side of your motor, seal the tank and make a gas cap out of a bottle cap, get some of those coke bottle handle grips, make a flashing coca cola tail light...well you get the point. You could make that thing a one of a kind collectors item!

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Thanks for all of the ideas and comments. I have not decided what to do. It is a comfortable bike, and if the decals were in better condition, or I was able to get replacement decals I would leave it alone. The "tank" stickers are the worst, I cant save them, and the tank needs painted, it could be used a the gas tank, and sealed up as there is only one screw hole, and it is very thick plastic, like a gas container. I only paid $33.00 for it so if I motored it I would not lose much as far as the "collector" value, on the other hand, gettting it so cheap, meens I can sell it cheap and still possibly make money as a "collectible". Decisions, decisions!!!!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I can't smell it or lick it, so I would think from the pics, someone did a stellar job of a copy. Motor? ah, throw out a line with the coke collectors and see what happens. GOOD find. (c)

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Heck Im just glad someone that knows something about bikes like you Geo has it know so we dont have to look at another poor bicycle sitting somewhere with its front fender on backwards. Kinda like wearin your underwear on your head instead of ...... well you get my point. lol kinda weak point at that. PUT A MOTOR ON IT GEORGE thats the kinda bike people we are....lol.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
You know its funny you mentioned that Terry, when I got it the front fender WAS on backwards.LMAO. I think Im gonna put it on Craigs List see what happens. I would sure like to make some money and get SBP shift kit for my MB. And if it doesnt sell I have recieved, and have, some ideas...........

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Changed my mind because of AlphaLlama.
Frame mount a 2 stroke and paint the removeable engine cases red.
However, I would not try to use the original gas tank. Mount a real tank on a rear rack or something.
Gasoline can be very destructive to materials that are not designed to resist it.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
However, I would not try to use the original gas tank. Mount a real tank on a rear rack or something.
Gasoline can be very destructive to materials that are not designed to resist it.
You can use a gas tank sealer and whatever material the tank is made of will be fine.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I say motorize it. IF you only spent $33 on it, you might be able to sell it later for a LOT more to a coke collector. Imagine that engine painted up coke red, a vintage coke box on the back, and it humming a long like a vintage motorcycle. I bet as a one of a kind you would get a lot more for it than as it is.

Is there a way to make a tank that fits inside that tank? You could keep the original tank, but hide a bladder for gas in it? Just wondering.