Chain Problems

GoldenMotor.com

techtiger

Jun 17, 2012
Springfield, MA
I've broken 3 chains so far riding around for no more than a mile or two. The sprocket is aligned and centered without wobble I made sure of that with some tape inside the sprocket hole for the hub. Am I putting the chain on too tight? It had about 1/2in of play. I'm running the chain without the tensioner. From the rear it was aligned as well. So its got me confused.:-||

techtiger

Jun 17, 2012
Springfield, MA
I got the 415 chain off of bike berry. Snapped about 8 links before the master link. On the right side of chain looking from rear. Maybe I had it too tight?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I can't comment on the quality of the chain you are getting, never rode one, but get yourself some #41 chain your problems would be over. It may seem a bit wide, but it runs smoother than the thin chains for me...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
OK thanks I'll try it.
One thing though, since the #41 chain is so wide and heavy duty you can't split the links with a regular chain tool (I broke mine trying! LOL) I ended up getting the job done with a vice, center punch and hammer. If you don't want to go that route you should get yourself a chain tool that is made to break a larger chain like #41, should be able to get that tool the same place that has the chain...

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Or you can get this, which one of our fine members suggested:
Nice friggin' chain man!

Note: may be short a couple links, mine was.
So I ordered 2 of these, 1 chain for my brother, 1 donor chain for him and me, I bought a nice chrome one locally, 2 black links, oh well.

With S&H to Canada it was cheaper (but not chromed) in cost from the LBS. (Local Bike Shop)

techtiger

Jun 17, 2012
Springfield, MA
I actually have that chain but the space pivot points were too large for the sprocket on my engine maybe cause I have the 415HD version instead of the 415H. Was a chain I had lying around the house.

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I actually have that chain but the space pivot points were too large for the sprocket on my engine maybe cause I have the 415HD version instead of the 415H. Was a chain I had lying around the house.
Actually, I realized that I had a problem with that too.
My brother said, ah, don't worry about it, it'll wear in.

It went clack....clack.....clack

Tried to take a file to the teeth, no way, those teeth are hardened metal, you know that when you wear out a nicholson file.
However, the sound did go away and it did wear in.

Everythings good.