Need help getting it started

GoldenMotor.com

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
I have my bike built but I cant get it to start.

using a 20:1 oil/gas. the back wheel cycles through no problem (i can peddle ~ and i know i need to change the master link holder on my chain so the back end of the link is going in the engine first)

I got a new 1/16 ID gas tubing and that solved my leaking problem. I have the choke down too.

are the wires hooked up correctly? is there a spark plug issue?

pictures help so here you go:

check out my other thread for more pictures:

http://motorbicycling.com/f41/last-set-problems-31029.html#post297821

starting the bike like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGdtPVRfMf0

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have my bike built but I cant get it to start.

using a 20:1 oil/gas. the back wheel cycles through no problem (i can peddle ~ and i know i need to change the master link holder on my chain so the back end of the link is going in the engine first)

I got a new 1/16 ID gas tubing and that solved my leaking problem. I have the choke down too.

are the wires hooked up correctly? is there a spark plug issue?
First thing I noticed is the junk spark plug and wire...change them.
Looks like the white wire is connected to something. Black mag to black CDI, blue mag to blue CDI. Disconnect the kill switch wires and give it a try. What did you do with the white mag wire (cut it off)? When peddling it is the piston cycling?

Last edited:

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
what wire? what should i change the spark plug to?

reading a post here:
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/bicycle-engine-wont-start-28590.html#post271414

someone said "black-black, blue-blue, two color-white, ground wire-black or good ground point on frame/motor."

so should I do the yellow/red kill switch wire to white?

all the metal tip connecters were removed because someone on this site told me to connect the wires like I have it now. The white was just tucked away but it is still in there (and still has that metal cap over it)

it does sound like its trying to start when i peddle

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Alf has a really good primer posted here... he should tell you where it's at !

disconnect the kill switch til you get it running... they are problematic!
eliminate that possibility.

if it sounds like it wants to start, give it less throttle and pedal more til it catches. (works on mine) :)

good luck

Alf is a genuine expert on getting em going!

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
on second thought it doesnt sound like its starting. the chain is just passing by fast. if i peddle and pop the clutch lever back up it sounds like its trying to start but if i keep the clutch lever in it doesnt.

i disconnected the red/yellow and tried to start her, still nothing.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
time to check the plug...
is it wet?

...and don't POP the clutch out !!!!
Slip it out gentle - like...
U got a cheapo idler there, AND a rag joint that is probably NOT aligned good as it should be. u can pull the idler into the spokes and lock the rear wheel...

Probably best to read the other threads on BIKE WON'T START then come back if that stuff don't work for you...

Really, Alf's write-up is worth gold!
rc

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
what kind of spark plug should i buy? may as well replace the stock one even if it works (i dont know if it does, never checked for spark dont know how) also if you read my other thread i was having problems with the spark plug boot (pictures in other thread).

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
I believe I should be getting a NGK BP6HS spark plug and I was looking at some replacement plug wires as well.

neither the red/yellow or green wires from the throttle are connected and still nothing.

how do you check if you have spark? also my spark plug doesnt feel very secure (doesn't feel like it on very tight). i can easily pull it off.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I believe I should be getting a NGK BP6HS spark plug and I was looking at some replacement plug wires as well.

neither the red/yellow or green wires from the throttle are connected and still nothing.

how do you check if you have spark? also my spark plug (plug itself or the high voltage lead?) doesnt feel very secure (doesn't feel like it on very tight). i can easily pull it off.
Replace plug and wire and try to start. If it doesn't start, spray a short burst of throttle body cleaner/starting fluid in the throat of the carburetor and attempt to start. If the engine starts, weather it remains running or not, this will eliminate looking for a electrical problem.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
any auto parts store, or check with a few mechanics... they should have one they'll give you...

lol even a used plug wire is probably betr than what comes with em!
anyhow, just get something to get her to run, if you don't have spark...
rc

..lawnmower repair shop...

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Due to a heart (15% usable) condition I don't peddle but the length of my truck (say what less then 20'), I have a 37' 5th wheel and I don't peddle the length of it to get my MB started. I use starting fluid/throttle body cleaner for the first start up in the day. Without fluid, I've seen my son peddle as much as 100' for his first start up.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
regular prestone starting fluid? where do i spray it?
The cheapest starting fluid/throttle body cleaner. I drilled a small hole in the air cleaner cover. I drilled one directly from the front, but found out that if drilled from the (I did the right side) side it makes it easier to insert the thin nozzle. Make sure that the can comes with a little straw.

ex42k9j

Aug 29, 2010
I checked a skyhawk manual online that had my type of setup. The black wires from motor and cdi were connected, as were the blue, but the red/yellow was connected to black and the green was connected to the blue. I tried it this way and still no go.

I dont think I am gettign a spark. how can i check if I am getting a spark? if I am getting a spark i will replace my spark plug, if not I will replace my hose and cdi (probably fried it if i get no spark).

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
remove the spark plug place it on the head connected to the cdi and roll the bike with the clutch out, as the engine turns over you should see the arch. If you have some one to help you can raise the the bike or put it on a stand and watch for spark as the helper spins the engine over.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I checked a skyhawk manual online that had my type of setup. The black wires from motor and cdi were connected, as were the blue, but the red/yellow was connected to black and the green was connected to the blue. I tried it this way and still no go.

I dont think I am gettign a spark. how can i check if I am getting a spark? if I am getting a spark i will replace my spark plug, if not I will replace my hose and cdi (probably fried it if i get no spark).
The red/yellow and green should come from the kill switch. You have them connected correctly. Take those two wires off, this will remove the kill switch from the equation. Then see if you have spark. Not uncommon for the kill switch to be defective from factory or just go ka---poot, as in non working. Whatever...you need to upgrade the plug and wire if you haven't already done so.

Last edited:

dakota47l1

Oct 2, 2011
st louis mo.
remove the spark plug place it on the head connected to the cdi and roll the bike with the clutch out, as the engine turns over you should see the arch. If you have some one to help you can raise the the bike or put it on a stand and watch for spark as the helper spins the engine over.
i wanna add to this you can ground out the plug inside with the lights off and spin the rear wheel.you should be able to see the spark better in the dark if you dont.then something is wrong