Wheel Master Rims ?

GoldenMotor.com

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Are 12G Spoke Wheel Master Rims good Wheels for a Motorized Bike Build . Or am I better off with Husky Brand ?

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Thanks for the info Venice . I will be ordering them . One of my main concerns was if the rear Wheel Master Rim would work with a Hub Sprocket adapter I was told it will with the Large type . I can order them now Because BikeBerry E-Mailed me tonight with some B.S about canceling My Back ordered Super Rat Engine Kit . I am Going with a 4 Stroke Engine now that kind of B.S ticks me off . Well if anything now I might even have the Bike built sooner .

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I have had these wheels for a couple years now with no problems.Just figure out if you want a coaster break or a freewheel which is what I use.If you go with the freewheel let me know I have a thread on sigle speed for it...cheap.Stay away from Bikeberry...they stole a photo of my bike and used it in there banner.

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Thank's Motomagz hate to talk down any Vendors I am new to this Bike Building but not new at Building things . Just Looking for a few Places that are on the up and up . It's good to buy at more then just one Place . I did make an order just the other day for about $130.00 of Part Springer Forks and Bearings set and some other needed parts . If that Place works out I will order the Wheels from them as well . Later on when My Bike gets dialed in I am sure I will have to upgrade to a Front Wheel with Internal Brakes . I plan to start out with the coaster Brake Wheel . I know you can't count on the coaster brakes alone to slow Down a 30+ MPH 3-4 H.P Motorized Bike . And I am not sure if I can mount hand Brakes on the Springer Fork set up that I bought .

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Thanks for the info Venice . I will be ordering them . One of my main concerns was if the rear Wheel Master Rim would work with a Hub Sprocket adapter I was told it will with the Large type . I can order them now Because BikeBerry E-Mailed me tonight with some B.S about canceling My Back ordered Super Rat Engine Kit . I am Going with a 4 Stroke Engine now that kind of B.S ticks me off . Well if anything now I might even have the Bike built sooner .
Yes... they have a 'Histop' rear coaster hub (Shimano CB-110 clone)... so they will work with those hub adapters.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Tango

Sound like you are getting good parts for your build. what are you using for a tranny/gear reduction.

Hi Venice, Do you recomend a coaster brake ? Could he buy a strong wheel with left hand thread`s on the left side for a nice freewheel drive sprocket set-up for his 4 stroke?

Ron .

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Tango

Sound like you are getting good parts for your build. what are you using for a tranny/gear reduction.

Hi Venice, Do you recomend a coaster brake ? Could he buy a strong wheel with left hand thread`s on the left side for a nice freewheel drive sprocket set-up for his 4 stroke?

Ron .
I will be running a Mini Bike Type #41 10 Tooth Centrifugal Torque Clutch and I did not buy it yet but I think a 44 tooth Rear Sprocket on a Hub Adapter . Still kicking the Rear Sprocket size Idea around ?

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I have had these wheels for a couple years now with no problems.Just figure out if you want a coaster break or a freewheel which is what I use.If you go with the freewheel let me know I have a thread on sigle speed for it...cheap.Stay away from Bikeberry...they stole a photo of my bike and used it in there banner.
I need one of those thread on sigle speed adapters cheap. How can I buy one?

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
hi all jest put husky wheels on my bik love them front drum great ony thing is thay click a bit is that norm ft drum to click

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Tango

are planning on running a chain from the motor clutch sprocket to the rear wheel sprocket ?? If you run a 60 tooth on the rear wheel that will give you a 6:1 final ratio. I`m thinking that will be under powered on a 26" wheel.

Elmo had around 10:1, thinking he was ok with that.

Just trying to help, not to offend or anything like that.

Ron

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I can go 62 or 66 Teeth . The Mini Bike had a 70 Tooth Gear but with much Shorter Tires . So what Gear you think I should Run ? I want off Line Power and 35 MPH Top End . I can't Find a Gear Larger then 66 Teeth that will bolt right on . If I have to I can Buy the 70 Tooth Mini Bike Sprocket and Drill it to Fit .

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
You really need more reduction. The gear ratio calculator says 39.8 mph at 3600 rpm with a 10 to 70 or 7 to 1 reduction. You could use this affordablegokarts: 79cc Parts for the first stage and with a 56 tooth on the wheel will give you a 12.44 to one and 34.2 mph at 5500 rpm. anything under 11 to one will be hard on your clutch unless you pedal a lot.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
hi elmo

Was hoping you would post what has worked on the `Flying Dutchman` for you.

My next build wil have the `Torque Converter` cvt on it or them. I thought "agk" was selling the comet cvt to members for $159. or somewhere near that price. A real bargain when you consider it all. That is what "Thumper" has, an aw-sum set-up, no doubt about that!! The comet cvt can be transfered to several different size motors.

Waiting for video`s of `Thumper` and of `Cobrafreak`s build.

Ron

Attachments

Last edited:

harlyhermansson

Nov 7, 2010
sweden
about the gears, im running 13 to 1 on my rat racer and that tops out at about 35mph
and it has savage acceleration. so i wuld recomend you to run 12/13 to 1 for best over all preformece;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding the original question about the wheels. I've used the Wheel Master from bikeworldusa, Husky wheels and Worksman.

Of the three I would pick an older Worksman in good condition even over a new one, the reason being that the chrome on the old ones was good quality. The recent Worksman wheels I've worked with are well made, but the chrome is poor for what you are paying. I think the chrome on the Husky is better quality, but the spokes are 12 gauge rather than 11 with the Worksman, still plenty strong for a motored bike.

The wheel master is a bargain for the money. The chrome quality is so so to poor and eventually they are going to rust unless you live somewhere dry like California or Arizona.
I've had the Histop coaster hub apart and they are pretty cheaply made, but only had one actually implode. What would you expect; the price is low? Still, they are much better than a thin spoked wallyworld bike. Especially if you expect to be riding at speed you need a stout wheel.

The absolute best bargain in my opinion requires teaching yourself how to re-lace a wheel, which is not all that hard. There are some very helpful videos on U tube leading you through the process.

Here's how I get a good coaster brake wheel on the cheap. I buy a new wheel master from bikeworldusa, take it apart and paint the rim (best would be to send it off for powder coating). Dump the Histop hub. The bearings are small and internal parts are not of real good quality. Find an older wheel with a Bendix hub. When you open one up you can see great machining, quality metal and big ball bearings. You'll need to drill out the spoke holes in the hub to accept the larger 12 gauge spokes, but this only takes a few minutes. Lace it up and you have a stout wheel that looks great and has good stopping power with a hub you can trust.

A little more trouble, but you can also use original balloon tire wheels from a 50's or earlier cruiser, drill out the spoke holes to accept 12 gauge nipples, lace in 12 gauge spokes (I buy the front wheel master and then lace it 4 cross for either a rear coaster brake hub or a front wheel hub with drum brake. It is as cheap to buy the whole wheel master wheel as it is to locate and purchase the spokes alone. My experience anyway.

So, best bargain is wheel master front wheel... powder coat rim... lace four cross to take up the extra length of the spokes (10 5/8" if I remember right) to a 70mm Husky or salvaged moped front drum brake or a Bendix rear coaster brake. You end up with a stout wheel, no rusting chrome, and good quality hubs at a bargain basement price. More effort is involved, but your end result is right up there in custom quality.

I'm no expert with this stuff and laced my first of many wheels this past spring. Now I'd rather build my own wheel than buy a ready made one, especially since I can build two or three for what a new Husky would cost me (that is if I use old moped hubs or Bendix coaster brake hubs).
SB