Im clueless and stumpped

GoldenMotor.com

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
ok it is 5 degrees literally outside today and im working on my motorbike inside a 70ish degree shop I installed a new to me carb im trading a guy went outside got bike started didn't have the power it used to went about 50 feet and died like it was out of gas got it home took off bowl screw drained gas made sure its got great gas flow tightened up intake /exhaust bolts cant get it started again even with starter fluid exhaust is flowing good intake and carb are sealed have fire tried without kill switch hooked up maybe weak cdi? any suggestions comment are appreciated

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
Ok this is what happened to me once. My bike was running fine and one day it wouldn't start. I tried to start it again holding down the kill switch and it fired right up. What I did was disconnect the kill switch and run the white wire straight to ground. My friends bike did the same thing...

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
Ok this is what happened to me once. My bike was running fine and one day it wouldn't start. I tried to start it again holding down the kill switch and it fired right up. What I did was disconnect the kill switch and run the white wire straight to ground. My friends bike did the same thing...
how do you shut the bike off now????

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I always clip the white wire at the magneto and pull it out. it doesn't do anything unless you hook it up to a headlight anyways. you shouldn't direct ground it to the bike.

I don't run kill switches either... I use the choke. either that or i shut the fuel petcock down the street so that it runs out of fuel as i coast up my drveway. always have.... that way crappy ethanol blended fuel doesn't sit in my carb.

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
Mine wouldn't run without the white wire being grounded? All you have to do to kill the bike is dump the clutch without giving it gas from a dead stop...

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Mine wouldn't run without the white wire being grounded? All you have to do to kill the bike is dump the clutch without giving it gas from a dead stop...
you can shut the choke and flood the gas.... it will accomplish the same thing as dumping the clutch without the excessive shock to the needle bearings, clutch, and gears.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
ok it is 5 degrees literally outside today and im working on my motorbike inside a 70ish degree shop I installed a new to me carb im trading a guy went outside got bike started didn't have the power it used to went about 50 feet and died like it was out of gas got it home took off bowl screw drained gas made sure its got great gas flow tightened up intake /exhaust bolts cant get it started again even with starter fluid exhaust is flowing good intake and carb are sealed have fire tried without kill switch hooked up maybe weak cdi? any suggestions comment are appreciated
out of all the carbs I have gotten one did that to me... I had it installed on a brand new flying horse. I tried for three days to get started... went through the standard deal (compression check, check spark, everything), used a whole can of my neighbors starting fluid. in frustration with no other option I used another carb I had that I knew was good... it fired right up.

did you try putting the old carb back on?

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
out of all the carbs I have gotten one did that to me... I had it installed on a brand new flying horse. I tried for three days to get started... went through the standard deal (compression check, check spark, everything), used a whole can of my neighbors starting fluid. in frustration with no other option I used another carb I had that I knew was good... it fired right up.

did you try putting the old carb back on?
no might tomorrow tho if the snow isn't too deep this time

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
The deal with grounding the white wire to make the mag work is your ground on the mag coil is broken some where between where the wire is attached inside the coil or at the solder spot on the mag frame.
The carb issue? Is your spark plug wet? with fuel and oil what about the spark plug gap. Less gap will allow a weak ignition a better chance to fire.
You might check both ends of the spark plug wire any blue to greenish colored stuff showing on the plug wire ends? coil or spark plug boot.
Going from warn air into cold air can cause condensation to form on parts might even cause a wire to short or a crimped wiring terminal to pull enough apart to cause a break in the wiring.
soldering the crimped on ignition ends will help prevent bad wiring connections.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
The deal with grounding the white wire to make the mag work is your ground on the mag coil is broken some where between where the wire is attached inside the coil or at the solder spot on the mag frame.
The carb issue? Is your spark plug wet? with fuel and oil what about the spark plug gap. Less gap will allow a weak ignition a better chance to fire.
You might check both ends of the spark plug wire any blue to greenish colored stuff showing on the plug wire ends? coil or spark plug boot.
Going from warn air into cold air can cause condensation to form on parts might even cause a wire to short or a crimped wiring terminal to pull enough apart to cause a break in the wiring.
soldering the crimped on ignition ends will help prevent bad wiring connections.
spark plug is wet i even went as far as to spry starting fluid and trying to start it indoors i will shorten the gap i have no tool to check that with plug is good plug wire is solid core is a credit card a good width to gap it

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
a credit card may be just a tiny too much gap I put a mic on one its 0.028" I'd shoot for closer to 0.020" or down to 0.017" that's in inches not mm.
If the spark plug is fuel wet try cranking the engine with the plug out and choke off throttle wide open fuel off it might help blow the fuel out to help dry it out. If you have a propane torch heat up the spark plugs tip then put in in the engine and crank it.
I've even put the torch lit in the spark plug hole but your taking a chance of making things go Boom or burning yourself.
You might just want to leave the spark plug out over night to let the engine and plug dry out.

Last edited:

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
a credit card may be just a tiny too much gap I put a mic on one its 0.028" I'd shoot for closer to 0.020" or down to 0.017" that's in inches not mm.
If the spark plug is fuel wet try cranking the engine with the plug out and choke off throttle wide open fuel off it might help blow the fuel out to help dry it out. If you have a propane torch heat up the spark plugs tip then put in in the engine and crank it.
I've even put the torch lit in the spark plug hole but your taking a chance of making things go Boom or burning yourself.
You might just want to leave the spark plug out over night to let the engine and plug dry out.
ok were in the middle of a blizzard right now but i will deff try that tomorrow thanks norm wish you lived closer

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
in my case my head wasn't sealed very good, I found out with a paper towel test, folded it, ran it in between the fins where it attaches to the block and found oil residue, so I took the 4 acorns nuts off and reset it and fixed that air leak, got my compression and it fired up,...
also, make sure when using the quick start you're getting it INTO the carb, can't just take off the air breather and spray, ya gotta rotate the throttle all the way to lift the sheath that opens the chamber on the carb so the ether will get In there,.....

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Yep last night we had a pretty good snow storm. I have around a 4' drifts in the driveway. The temp is 12* right now and by this week end it will be back in the 40* to 50*
I had to shovel the snow off the drive cause I'm headed to L.A.,Ca. tomorrow then off to Florida for almost a month. I'll get to work on my tan and hope to see the Space Shuttle take off on Feb.24th. that will be soooo cool if I get to see and hear it fly!!!!!
Kansas is right close to me. I don't know just where you live in Kansas if your in western Kansas then your close.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
Yep last night we had a pretty good snow storm. I have around a 4' drifts in the driveway. The temp is 12* right now and by this week end it will be back in the 40* to 50*
I had to shovel the snow off the drive cause I'm headed to L.A.,Ca. tomorrow then off to Florida for almost a month. I'll get to work on my tan and hope to see the Space Shuttle take off on Feb.24th. that will be soooo cool if I get to see and hear it fly!!!!!
Kansas is right close to me. I don't know just where you live in Kansas if your in western Kansas then your close.
Im in Mission kansas just south of kck

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Looks like your on the east end of the neighborhood. It would be a kind of long ride. To either of our places.:-||

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
ok hear is where im at closed in the gap lots of spark motor wants to start now but dies right away but she sure wants to what do you guy think is the problem or what i should test next