Schwinn Classic Build

GoldenMotor.com

Moustache

Oct 21, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Here is the rear running light i made out of a plastic Showerhead from Home Depot, Battery pack from a smoke alarm, and a switch from True Value. Stopping by my Harley Dealer today to get a smoked turn signal cover for it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice old cantilever Schwinn. You have a lot of room in that frame for a motor, even a four stroke Greyhound will fit in there. Clever rear light, too!
I lived in Annapolis at one time, many years ago when I was a high school teacher in Anne Arundel County. Nice city with very narrow streets in the old part of town. I liked the water front. I spend winters now in northern Maryland, north of Frederick. Welcome to the forum.
SB

Moustache

Oct 21, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Silverbear - Thanks for the compliments, It took a TON of sanding and grinding to clean up the frame before painting. I grew up in Eastport but now I live right outside of Annapolis near the Bay bridge. Planning on taking this thing into town on a regular basis up and down those narrow streets when im finished .wee.

Bike Monster - Ape Hangers and a springer fork are going to be added after i get the engine.

Any suggestions on an Engine kit? I'm looking for a reliable, powerful engine that wont require too much fabrication to fit. I would love to do a Lifan or Pirannah 4 stroke Auto Motors, But i do not know how to weld and it would require alot of modification to fit.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well, it looks to me like ytou enjoy fabricating and making it your own, so as far as recommendations for a motor... if you want to go four stroke and do it on a budget, check out a thread I'm doing right now on the same frame you have...
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/greyhound-51-schwinn-cantilever-build-25200.html#post234852
No frame modifications or welding is involved.
If you want to go with a 2 stroke kit I would suggest Pirate Cycles and their PK-80 engine. Of the several China girl motors I've had that one stands out as more powerful and put together a bit better. It is set up with mounts for wider frame tubes, but is easy enough to adapt the mounts without much fiddling. Pirate Cycles is a good outfit and stand behind what they sell. They are one of the vendors here.
What do you want the bike for? Occasional riding or for more serious transportation? Flatland mostly or real hills to deal with? Is this a winter project for riding in the spring and you're willing to invest some time in it, or do you want this on the road as quickly as possible? A simple answer isn't easy. I'm guessing you'd like to keep the budget down some... is $300.00 tops? $500.00? (not counting what you have in it already). If $300.00 is it then I'd go with the China girl. If you want a more serious ride then I'd go for a four stroke which you can still do on a budget. I have several rides to choose from, 2 stroke and more recently 4 strokes as well. I find myself wanting to ride the four strokes... smooth with lots less vibration, nice thoaty exhaust and feels more like primitive motorcycle than just a bicycle with a motor. Either one can work for you and be a whole lot of fun.
SB

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
I spend winters now in northern Maryland, north of Frederick. Welcome to the forum.
SB
Not a whole lot of Maryland north of Frederick! Thurmont, Emmitsburg, Smithsburg ... some of my old stomping grounds. That can be a pretty snowy place to spend your winters. Then again maybe you're coming as far north as my hometown where Ski Liberty is located ...

OK, enough thread hijacking!

Silverbear: You're making some neat and innovative mods there. You should be able to figure out just about any engine combo from the looks of it. This is basically the bike I had when I was a kid, so it's interesting to watch it come together. Of course, I didn't have a motor in mine!

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Not a whole lot of Maryland north of Frederick! Thurmont, Emmitsburg, Smithsburg ... some of my old stomping grounds. That can be a pretty snowy place to spend your winters. Then again maybe you're coming as far north as my hometown where Ski Liberty is located ...

OK, enough thread hijacking!

Silverbear: You're making some neat and innovative mods there. You should be able to figure out just about any engine combo from the looks of it. This is basically the bike I had when I was a kid, so it's interesting to watch it come together. Of course, I didn't have a motor in mine!
I caretake and do handyman work up in the Cotaktin mountains not too far from Camp David and a wee north of Thurmont. The postal address is Sabillasville, not far from Emmitsburg. Very hilly country there and yes, last winter had a lot of snow. I'm still in Minnesota, expecting to get out there in early December as soon as I finish a Panther 4 stroke build for a friend. I'm taking my 51 Schwinn/Greyhound with me. If you get down that way before May, bring your bike and we can do some riding with some the Maryland guys. Tinsmith is down in Frederick or near there and Crazy Horse is over near Rockville.
Thanks for the kind words, but I think you've got me beat in innovation... steam? Awesome! Where's Ski Liberty? I know Smithsburg.
Yes, sorry about the high jacking of this thread. Now let us return to our regular programming...
"These are the days of our lives... like sand through the hourglass..." etc.
SB

Moustache

Oct 21, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Silverbear - Thanks man, i really do enjoy making things myself and trying to beat my own path instead of following everyone else. This has turned into a winter project hopefully ready by spring. So my budget isnt very tight since i have no rush on getting it finished. Its going to be for cruising and enjoying myself mainly, I have a Motorcycle and SUV for transportation. And as far as hills, Its Maryland, there are a few hills but nothing crazy.

I would like to do a 4stroke like your greyhound, but i'm a more "looks over function" kind of guy and i just cant get over the bulky look of the standard 4stroke MB engine. Now if i did an air cleaner like yours, and somehow removed the pullstart assem. in place for a folding kicker pedal like an older Motorcycle then i would be a little more interested.

This is why i am more interested in the ATV 4strokes with 3sp. auto trans. It is just a cleaner looking engine, with a kick pedal, that resembles a motorcycle engine. The only problem is that i seriously doubt i could make one fit in my frame. There just isnt enough space front to back.

Where did you get your Greyhound, i dont think i caught that in your thread?

Sportscarpat - Thanks man, It was suprisingly easy to do!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The greyhound comes from Harbor Freight. There's probably one near Baltimore and maybe one down your way. They are normally $130.00 and come on sale periodically for aroung $95.00 & with a 20% off coupon for any one item in the store it came to $81.00 with tax. The H.S. engine I have on my 50 Schwinn Motorbike (Panther frame) is a much more streamlined motor and would easily fit in your frame with room to spare. The Greyhound is a big motor, wide and long. More of a bulldog than a greyhound. Good luck with whatever you come up with. Continue with the build thread & photos, please...
SB

Moustache

Oct 21, 2010
Annapolis, MD
silverbear - After shopping around, i may take your advice on the Greyhound. As far as which grey hound engine, Which model did you choose? On HF's website they offer a 6.5hp, 11hp and 13hp. I've never seen one of these engines in person so i dont know how they differ in size.

How are these motors as far as speed & torque? They only rev out to 3600 rpms so i cant imagine they go very fast?

Finished some Red pinstriping on the frame late last night, And i really like how it turned out. I'll have some pics by tomorrow

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The Harbour Freight engines you mentioned are all too big. The Greyhound is a 2.5 hsp motor. Yes, it is slow revving so what makes it work as a bike motor is a suitable transmission. I use the one from EZMotors called a Qmatic. It turns an industrial motor into a smooth running motorbike engine with plenty of low end torque to take you from a dead stop right up to too fast. Jim Davis has had his up into the 40's and he's a big fellow. I don't use a speedometer and have no interest in going 40 on a bicycle, but I do appreciate being able to climb hills without a problem. Quenton Guenther at EZMotors re-calibrates the clutch in the Qmatic if it is for a Greyhound, making it engage sooner to accommodate the lower revs.
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/greyhound-51-schwinn-cantilever-build-25200.html
That's the link to a build I just finished which will give you an idea of what's involved. I'm still doing the build thread. The pictures of it done are here in this thread...
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/2010-4-stroke-frame-build-off-19467.html
Between the two they should give you a better idea whether or not this engine is for you. Good luck. Hope this helps.
SB