what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Adjusted my carb. Gapped my plug. Painted my new fabricated chain tensioner. Rode 16 miles round trip to the in-laws house. Arrived home with no problems and all pieces accounted for. A good day.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

rode around for awhile. paid the rent. got some smokes. slowed down to putt alonside an older guy on a red motored cruiser doing about 20 in the bike lane (anyone from here?) exchanged some hellos then twisted it back up to traffic speeds and left him smiling.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Contemplated the intricacies and interrelation of center of mass, centrifugal force, steering dynamics, suspension travel and scrub, ergonomics, and control placement...

...basically I just sat there & made vroomin' noises to meself :D

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

dan said:
Cool, thanks WA

Nokian Extreme 294 Studded Tire - 26 x 2.1 at REI.com
damm i didnt realize how expensicve those babies were i heard you could get a set for 140 at rei but that must have been a sale or something

ohh i forgot to mention that studs dont help alot with fresh snow you still feel like your gonna dye just not as bad

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

ok so today i made a improved cardboard cover for so my motor stops spewing on me

and after i found out the ported billet intake that i bought for my next kit with a cns doesnt fit well i decided to put it on my current bike with nt carb now im not sure where the extra top speed came in from the boost bottle or the fact that the billet intake was shorter and more shapely heres some stats from a gps not a car riding next to me

ok so old intake max speed 25.2
ported billet intake with boost bottle same stretch of road 26.2

now i took the new intake on a .5 mile road with slight uphill one way and slight downhill coming back so the numbers are good out of three runs each top speed was 26.3 up a gradual slope and down no wind

ok so another stat on my ride to work my top speed was 25.2 and the same on the way back home 25.2

now same ride but with the ported billet intake and boost bottle top speed there was 26.8 and back was 26.9

so im not sure where the boost of power came from the boost bottle or the ported intake but there is a clear increase in power

now for acceleration i found if i w.o.t. from a stop i have slow accel but if i 1/2 throttle then full throttle i have the same acceleration as before

the bad the idle is high before warm up and the idle is low after warm up im sure thats from the boost bottle but thats not that big of a problem to deal with

i know its not a large boost in speed but i am running a 44t sprocket i feel i could go down to a 40 with no problems and get 30ish but i like the easy take offs with barely any peddaling

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Contemplated the intricacies and interrelation of center of mass, centrifugal force, steering dynamics, suspension travel and scrub, ergonomics, and control placement...

...basically I just sat there & made vroomin' noises to meself :D

LOL laff

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

damm i didnt realize how expensicve those babies were i heard you could get a set for 140 at rei but that must have been a sale or something

ohh i forgot to mention that studs dont help alot with fresh snow you still feel like your gonna dye just not as bad
There are a bunch of DIY winter gear threads. I have not tried it yet (lol, in the 3 winters I been talking about it) But I wanna try a rivet gun on some old knobbys. Or (and?) some wire laced around my front wheel. Has a drum brake.

Just a thought. The 90 bucks for those seems well worth it but if could be made safely DIY, cool.

Not suggesting this! lol, just a thought in my wee lil brain.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina

First, I caressed the entire bike. Then put some love onto some of the hardware with a wrench....... WOW!!!! That almost sounded disturbed!!!

Seriously, I checked it over and gave it my nightly ride with a little detoure. Road 4.5 miles to Lowes to get some lite bulbs, but they were closed, so went to wally world and got the bulds. Road home, and then back to Wally world again for other supplies. Total miles 12. And it was 38 deg. last night!!!! Loved it!
After all the trips, checked the bike over again, I did not have to do anything for touch up maintenance.

Then stared at my Schwinn Sting Ray, to continue visualizing the final outcome.

2Door, I like the airplanes in the picture, I also fly. Planes, Helis, cars, electric and gas for all.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"

i too stared at it...visualizin a extended springer chromed fork, as well as braided fuel line w/chrome see-thru filter..because i looked at that beauti green-tanked rat rod..and now i have to have one..and mommy said it was ok!.....but its way too damm cold down here...55 in the garage but i think the light bulbs are helpin that reading!......puppppppppppp....j e t s ...jets!......tonite gotta be one of the best games of the season....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Made pipe mount out of an old tensioner bracket. Just cut it down to fit. Played with muffler. Gonna keep it as pictured for now. Actually did this Sunday. Today used some stiff side of Velcro tape to make throttle easier to grip. Bought a leather aviator's cap, goggles and military style glove/mittens. Can pull back mitten finger end and is open fingered gloved. Adjusted brakes and could smoke with out taking off gloves. Is pretty cool. Forgot to get a face mask but the leather cap is cool and not warm! lol

RiverSide :: Muffler double video by dan3xd - Photobucket

Attachments

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Since we had a high of 16 degrees today with about 30 mph winds I worked in my shop and started laying out a spring loaded chain tensioner made from an old rear derailer sprocket and bearings. And did some day dreaming on how to build a kickstarter once I get my transfer jackshaft stuff mounted. I also laminater some wood stock together to make the mold to lay up a fiberglass tank. All in all it was somewhat productive just too cold to enjoy riding.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009

rode for awhile, then it got a little chilly (brrrrr, it was like 60!) so i went home and stared at my new bike for awhile.

i've been trying to work out the angles for the tank for the last coupla days. been makin stuff out of poster board, but didn't find anything i was happy with. it's like friggen origami trying to make something in 3-D.

so today, i looked at this piece of copper i was beating on awhile ago, and decided to try to hammer it into the right shape.

set the copper sheet in the dirt, then beat on it with a rubber mallet till it looked like it'd fit, then cut it out, shaped it, finessed it, and i now have a rounded front end for my tank.

or a cool soapdish.

i should have the tank mostly done tomorrow or wednesday, so i'll post up some pics in the build thread.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010

rode for awhile, then it got a little chilly (brrrrr, it was like 60!) so i went home and stared at my new bike for awhile.

i've been trying to work out the angles for the tank for the last coupla days. been makin stuff out of poster board, but didn't find anything i was happy with. it's like friggen origami trying to make something in 3-D.

so today, i looked at this piece of copper i was beating on awhile ago, and decided to try to hammer it into the right shape.

set the copper sheet in the dirt, then beat on it with a rubber mallet till it looked like it'd fit, then cut it out, shaped it, finessed it, and i now have a rounded front end for my tank.

or a cool soapdish.

i should have the tank mostly done tomorrow or wednesday, so i'll post up some pics in the build thread.
did you ever see the episode (one of his earlier ones) when jessie james went to some coppersmith an fabbed a copper tank with rivits

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

did you ever see the episode (one of his earlier ones) when jessie james went to some coppersmith an fabbed a copper tank with rivits
I saw that episode and have been thinking of doing a tank out of 4" copper tube with radiused brass end caps and copper rivets as an accent... Maybe when I finish this fiberglass tank for my current bike and start a new vintage build.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009

didn't see that episode, but i saw discovery's "biker build-off" show where a guy did basically the same thing. it was a work of art.

copper's really easy to work with, semi-inexpensive, and adds a cool look to a vintage bike.

minus the cost of my time (not to mention the time spent figuring it out) a copper tank can be built for about 50 bucks.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon

Broke at least 3 spokes and changed carbs. I put my old nt on because it seems better made, but it was not as fast. I think I will now change rims and put back one the new nt carb

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010

it says 58 in the shop...w/screens open but damm i know its colder.....im gonna go buzz the 'hood right now.......hey believe me i feel 4 you guys way up north.......

oh man that was cold.....don't know how you guys do it up yonder

Last edited: