My next custom build (maybe)

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Well, here's the look i'm after. Making some progress. Got the mounts welded yesterday and did another pre-pre-assembly. Thinking of a small headlight. My bike looks pretty naked next to Dan's finished bobber.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Got a few things welded today, Including the steering stop, kickstand bracket and spark plug clearance notch. Also worked on the autoclutch pivot and hanger. Tomorrow I can mock up the whole bike and fit some belts. Still have to make some more frame gussets and rear axle adjusters. Probably have Quenton upgrade my clutch. I won a HP Dyno cam on ebay. Supposed to add at least 1 HP. Need to buy a front brake lever for my 1" bars. Getting close to fabbing up the compression release and assembling the motor. Hope to finish by the time warmer weather arrives.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Got the brace ready to weld in to make up for the weakened cantilever bars. Made up some axle adjusters with parts from the McMaster Carr catalog and got them mocked up for welding. Should be moving right along with this project now that I'm this far. I think the only other bracket to weld onto the frame will be for the exhaust pipe. A couple more pre-assemblies to fit the belts, make an intake tube, make the ex pipe, make a front brake cable, assemble the motor and test ride. Then it's off to the powder coater for some medium dark grey. More photos coming soon.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Got my cantilever bars strengthened with a welded plate between them where I cut a piece for spark plug clearance. Also my axle adjusters are complete. Ask me about those special nuts on the axle.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Curtis. I had my machinist buddy turn them from some hex stock. I have them on all my bikes. The groove in them lets me slip the rear wheel onto a fork I have mounted on a 2X4, and the front wheel sets on the other end of the board and is held down by tie down straps fastened to a cross piece. This allows the rear wheel to be off the ground so I can sit on the bike to start it and dial in the carburetor. Makes it real easy to get it running correctly without pedalling my butt off and ending up a block away with a dead motor. These are 3/8-24 thread for Bendix hubs, and I have 11mmX1.0 on my bikes that use moped rear hubs. It takes me a while, but eventually I learn to make tools that I can use on future bikes.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Mocked up my bike with the clutch pulley and fitted some belts. Next comes the intake and exhaust tubes. Everythings coming together as planned. Won't be long now 'til I can test ride as a pre-assembly and work the bugs out before painting and finishing.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey chainmaker, I put this build aside to work on the four wheel project in the tavern category. Then I started modifying one of my Briggs bikes for the Willow Springs race. Got plenty to do. Stay tuned.