kill switch malfunction

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
ok... I finally got my bike to where it will idle good now so I decided to go ahead and install the kill switch. I connected it to the blue wire. I took the bike out for a trip around the block and when I came home I tried the switch. I worked perfectly. At least I thought so until the next time I tried to start it. The bike would not start at all. I undid my kill switch connection on the blue wire and the bike started just fine.

My question is; What did I do wrong? I'm not mechanical or electrical and don't understand why it would not start again. Can someone please shed some light on this subject?

thanks.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
So can you recommend a course of action? I really don't like killing the engine by letting the clutch out. I'm not sure what to buy as a replacement for the kill switch. I don't want to make things worse, which is possible (for me).

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Go to a motorcycle/moped/mower shop and ask for a kill switch that can be mounted on the handlebars.

It doesn't hurt the bicycle motor to kill it with the clutch.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Or remove the wire from the switch and when you want to shut it off, just ground it out to the handlebars....do not straddle the tank while doing so.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I use a toggle switch I leave it set to off when I park the bike. It might give me a minute to reach a thief before he figures it out. You could even hide it under the seat if you wanted. It makes no deference where it is.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I'm using a old motorcycle switch...it also has a on/off for light's that I keep saying I'm going to get but never seem to get around to it. It also had a HI/LOW for the light's that I could use for something else...maybe turn signal's?

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I think I will get me a toggle switch and use that. Wonder how much they cost? Shouldn't be too much I would think. I will find out today and if I have enough pocket change I will get one today. I will let you all know about how it goes once I get it on.

Again, thanks for all the help,
cd

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Well, I got me a toggle switch from the auto parts place this morning. I've got it hooked up and it works great. So now I don't have to try and kill my engine with the clutch anymore.

So far it's working really well. I'm about to go take a ride and I will let you know if anything vibrates off (lol).

Kulana Kruiser

Jul 8, 2008
White and frame ground is stupid - who turns off an engine by a controlled short?

Just do this, if you haven't already:

Get rid of the yellow button kill switch - buy a $2.00 switch as seen in pic, dremil a space for it in the throttle handle, and make it a kill switch that connects/splices to each side of the BLUE wire. The yellow switch used w/ the white wire is notorious for creating a short which will eventually fry the magneto. = $30.00 + shipping to replace.
Now you have a real kill switch that you can control easily when riding. I like to let my bike idle for a moment before shutting it off. And this makes it very easy to do so.
I got my switch at Autozone for $2.00.

Kruisin Style,

Troy Fitz.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
fo' sho'! The mag is not going to be ruined by shorting it to kill the engine. If it were, then it would "fry" it the first time you hit the kill switch.

Kulana Kruiser

Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, and that's why so many people with posts on these forums change it out,- because it works so well.:rolleyes:
Using an in-line toggle switch on the blue wire simply disrupts the power by turning off the source- (no positive and negative contact between the the two sources made at all)- you have a very strange definition of what an
"electrical short" is.
It is not the same as using the a wire which contains a small amount of current, and then pushing a button which transfers that current into the grounded frame to "short" out the power that was being generated. - which conducts heat which can eventually in time- not always- lead to failure.
But whatever, you do what you want and I'll do it the way that will never fail.(p)

Keep on Kruisin,

Troy Fitz.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You are correct about the interuption of current. That will kill the engine too.

Mags have been grounded out to "stop the engine" since the early part of last century, so what works for most is just as viable a way as your "never fail" philosophy, without the attitude.

So, yes, you do it your way and everybody else can do what works for them.

Everybody wins.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Gee I thought the kill switch that came with the kits worked fine maybe I'm doing it all wrong? I guess I'd better disconnect it before it blows the plug out of the head or worse yet burns out the mag or something.
Man all those mags on the industrial engines and my airplane are being shorted out every time I kill them.
Thanks for the update.

I don't think I'll change anythingrotfl

Last edited: