what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
gazed longingly at my bike today wishing i could ride.. dislocated my shoulder last thursday so i'm probably going to be gazing at my motorized bike for at least a week.
I can say with some authority that it'll only slow you down the first couple of times it happens.. Mine's so far gone I can roll it in and out of the socket anytime I want or need to. Once you have the knack of doing it, not many grappling holds can keep you restrained... A friend showed me a move he'd just learned at his dojo once that was an "unbreakable hold".. I unlocked the shoulder and dropped out of it in seconds.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I pedalled the old '67 Peugeot PX10 road bike the six miles round trip to Starbucks for coffee- low 70's temps- and then finished putting a new back wheel on the old 66 build-

I wanted to pedal in my 60th birthday a month back, but the weather wasn't good, or my bio rhythms, but I'm hoping I can still get out peddaling 3 or 4 times at least a week this season- nothing long 20 -40 minutes.

You may have seen the 66 build- with 27" wheels- the back wheel has been breaking spokes lately and has had a slightly bent axle, I hoped might go the summer but I'm tired of replacing spokes-

so I put on a 700 C flip flop wheel with a 1 inch rim and bolted a 34 alloy sprock with the 6 disk brake pattern right onto the drilled smooth dsides of the alloy flange- same as my 50 build-

the 27 wheel already had a 34 alloy and rag joint so no change there- just losing the weight of the rag joint-

It LOOKS perfect- the motor chain is dead on straight and very clear of the stays- and- as always- NO tensioner! The proof will be testing tomorrow

the tire is a 35mm wide thing I'd ridden on the 50 shortly but which swayed on the sidewalls on a 3/4 " wide rim- I think the extra 1/4 " of the 1 inch rim will stop that- so I'm happy-

it was running GREAT when I had it out Friday but there went a spoke and another by the time I got back- this has gotta stop!

and I think it will with this new wheel. No more matching blue tires tho.....

daxtit:ride2:

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Here's pics of the dryer rigged for ventilation. Since I took them I might as well post them.

And there's one of the frame - totally bare metal. Looked pretty cool like that; shiny! Now its sprayed gold. Looks good like that too. But the gold paint is just an undercoat for my Krylon X-Metals red (basically a candy-apple paint).
That is cool!

Wonder what temps you could get an enclosed space upto? Be a great little DIY heater too.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
My daughter has claimed my VeloSolex powered Wu-Yang bicycle and since she wanted to do some improvement work on the lighting system she need to remove the engine flywheel. So it was, 'Mum how do you get this thing off?' And next minute yours truly was busy with making a flywheel puller out of scrap steel and other bits and bobs.
The real thing is available from France of course, but making one from scrap costs nothing and you don't have to wait a week for it to arrive.
The flywheel puller I made doesn't look as nice as the proper tool, but it worked just fine which is all that counts.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have a big drawer full of one-off pullers and presses made for a single job. After awhile, you can find one without building usually. One nice thing about a crowded workspace...I have stuff I haven't seen in years.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I have a big drawer full of one-off pullers and presses made for a single job. After awhile, you can find one without building usually. One nice thing about a crowded workspace...I have stuff I haven't seen in years.
I made the puller flange big enough so it's possible to drill it for other hole spacings so it can be used for other jobs as well.
I hear what you're saying Maniac, while doing my big workshop cleanup I found all kinds of handy bits and bobs I'd forgotten about.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I redid the hanger on my exhaust pipe so the clamp is not at all on the corrugated metal water pipe I'm using. The last one would have lasted longer than two years, but severed where the clamp I though I spread the stress out enough. Now a extra short section of cast iron is where the clamp is holding now.

I swapped my home made copper gaskets that replace the rubber part the pipe comes with. In addition I remove the nylon sleeves at the ends that are for galvanic corrosion prevention when used with water and dissimilar metals.

I am going to get an extra length of axle to use with a new 12 gauge spoke wheel and mount the new replica Whizzer sheave on. Extra width needed as it sticks out a bit more to the side than my home brewed pulley I mounted. The pulley of my own would have been still working, but I never found a source of steel stamped 10 inch diameter v-belt pulley with arms I use mounted to the spokes.

Just cast aluminum alloy and my 21:1 ratio and 3 hp 4stroke Briggs hauling through mountain trails cracked it half way around.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=547395#post547395

Attachments

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
Took the resistor out of my ngk spark plug boot and replaced it with aluminum foil. Crappy stock boot broke so I had to figure out something. Good thing I had the ngk in my room

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Took the resistor out of my ngk spark plug boot and replaced it with aluminum foil. Crappy stock boot broke so I had to figure out something. Good thing I had the ngk in my room
its always nice to have some usable junk laying around isn't it, if it wasn't for all the junk I have laying around I wouldn't get much done around my place my wife gets on to me for keeping so much, but it sure comes in handy for all those little odds and ends that need to be fixed or rigged up and saves money in the long run also or at least sometimes it does.....lol!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I could wait no longer. The temperature hit somewhere just above 40f. I brought out the bike, goosebumps spreading up my arms all the while. I went through the pre-run checklist. Put in fresh fuel. Pedaled up to speed, popped the clutch, and lit that ol' gurl up! WOOOHOO! I suddenly realized just how friggin' long this winter had been!
Neighbors waved as I rode by. They smiled at me and my bike Tempus as we cruised by, as though we'd become an early sign of the coming Spring. It was a glorious first ride of the year. Looking forward to many more very soon. :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I could wait no longer. The temperature hit somewhere just above 40f. I brought out the bike, goosebumps spreading up my arms all the while. I went through the pre-run checklist. Put in fresh fuel. Pedaled up to speed, popped the clutch, and lit that ol' gurl up! WOOOHOO! I suddenly realized just how friggin' long this winter had been!
Neighbors waved as I rode by. They smiled at me and my bike Tempus as we cruised by, as though we'd become an early sign of the coming Spring. It was a glorious first ride of the year. Looking forward to many more very soon. :)
There ya go.....

Map
.wee.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
I'm back! Been locked out of the forum for some technical reason (most likely couldn't remember the password).
Really wanted to say that AllenWrench your post made me smile. You could take that post, put music to the images and make an ad for these bikes! Good show.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Got some parts in the mail today. Main one I needed was the dual-pull lever. One of the best things ever invented. I can actually stop quicker. Also got a .68 jet. Will wait til end of break-in to replace that.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I drilled out both rear studs in my dax gen IV engine on my Kulana bike I have one of them that had broke up flush and I could not get it out so I drilled it and then tapped it with a 1/4-20 tap, so now that will be a good solid fix for that problem I hope.

I also got a set of springer forks and some old Wald ape handlebars put on my old 1963 Western Flyer bike, Im gonna put an engine on it tomorrow, for now Im putting the dax genIV on it that I took off the Kulana today, I uave another good engine sitting in the shop Im gonna slap on the Kulana bike for now, I have two more gen IV lowers still in the box that need to be built up, so when I have time Ill get one of them together and back on the Kulana.

Plan on getting my 30T sprocket mounted up on my 24" wheel tomorrow if all goes well may Ill have this bike ready to ride before the sun goes down tomorrow, its gonna be a unique bike compared to my others, I think it might end up being my favorite bike when its done.

Map

Edit: no bike work today after all.... way to dang cold and windy to be outside..... dang-it, sure wanted to get that engine mounted up today.....!

Last edited: