2 Stroke Engine Product Lifespan in USA

GoldenMotor.com

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Greetings everyone.

My question has nothing to do with the engines themselves, but their future in America. I've been reading that current momentum re: EPA regulations regarding exhaust emission standards may lead to these engines not being available for sale in the future (not unlike California).

Is there any truth to this? is so, I'm thinking I should buy as many motors as I can while they are still available.

Has anyone heard anything along these lines, or am I being paranoid.

Thanks and have a nice day.

.bf.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
wouldn't surprise me to see EPA completely step on these things in a couple more years

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Something to consider is all the 2 stroke kits being sold right now are probably illegal, and no one is trying to stop them. As long as they come from China, it's anything goes. Try doing it from Europe and it would be no dice.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I guess at some point we'll have to decide in we like being beat down compliant Amerikans or Patriot outlaw Americans.

I know which side I will be on no doubt.

map reddd

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
When motors are outlawed, only the outlaws will have motors. ;)
LOL, snork, CT...

This comes up at least 2ce a year. The banning of 2 stroke bicycle kits. Been happening for 8 yrs that I know of. While nothing is impossible, I have grown at ease that 2 smokes are safe.

OR,

They can take my weed whacker when they pry my cold, dead fingers from around it!
(Carol likes the yard tidy)

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have stated many times how I feel about regulating motorized bicycles.
I'll be an outlaw when the outlaw my bike engine.
Probably go ahead and build the 125cc six speed motocross engine mountain bike build I've been thinking on for years now....
May as well be hanged for a pound as a penny.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like Dan said. This stuff has been floating around for as long as I've been involved with motorized bicycles. Every year the EPA scare shows up here and every year it mysteriously goes away for a few months then pops up again.

To me it smacks of marketing ploys by some of the major importers. Their scare tactics are becoming a lot like the little boy who cried "wolf". I don't listen to any of it anymore.

Tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Like Dan said. This stuff has been floating around for as long as I've been involved with motorized bicycles. Every year the EPA scare shows up here and every year it mysteriously goes away for a few months then pops up again.

To me it smacks of marketing ploys by some of the major importers. Their scare tactics are becoming a lot like the little boy who cried "wolf". I don't listen to any of it anymore.

Tom
Ditto....................!!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yeah, you absolutely can not buy a 66 CC 2 stroke kit in California.

And if you ride one on the street in CA you get arrested, fined and the bike gets crushed. LOL
I hope you all realize this is sarcasm, lol!

Tom
My thoughts exactly, if we exercise our rights and just as many enthused people will support your cause against the stooges which don't understand and might want to stop motorbike engine imports. There's other options too but you gotta get creative and make motor mounts. Mopeds/motorized bicycles are encouraged where I live because they cut down on traffic congestion.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
And if you ride one on the street in CA you get arrested, fined and the bike gets crushed. LOL
The "bike getting crushed" can, and has, happened in CA. I've see this with a number of motorcycles including a mid '80s Canadian Yamaha RZ 500.

Sad, but true...

Doesn't matter to me much longer, I'm going electric.

zpt
I'm already there. First build was a rear geared hubby (motor) on a cheap Road Master "MTB".

Electric is great and all, but gas is...well...a gas.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Greetings everyone.

My question has nothing to do with the engines themselves, but their future in America. I've been reading that current momentum re: EPA regulations regarding exhaust emission standards may lead to these engines not being available for sale in the future (not unlike California).

Is there any truth to this? is so, I'm thinking I should buy as many motors as I can while they are still available.

Has anyone heard anything along these lines, or am I being paranoid.

Thanks and have a nice day.

.bf.
Not to say this is of no concern or that your mistaken in wondering about it, MotorBike. Didn't want you thinking your question was being dumped on. Years back, you should have seen the reaction to just this. Folks went insane. Then about a yr later, same thing but less reaction.

Now, it sorta gets a "yea, yea..." reaction. As unpredictable as things like this are, we all may wake up shocked one day. Who knows.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'll simply start building Frankenstein creations if they take my china dolls away...
And I have some truly Mad ideas for engines to use....

Motorbikenewb

Mar 19, 2013
Columbus, OH
Not to say this is of no concern or that your mistaken in wondering about it, MotorBike. Didn't want you thinking your question was being dumped on. Years back, you should have seen the reaction to just this. Folks went insane. Then about a yr later, same thing but less reaction.

Now, it sorta gets a "yea, yea..." reaction. As unpredictable as things like this are, we all may wake up shocked one day. Who knows.
Well, I've always said: The only stupid question is the one that's not asked.

Thanks dance1

freebill

Oct 28, 2013
Dayton tx. USA
hello, my two cents in again, i do'nt see why they want to stop us motor bikers, compare; 1 person rides a v8 20 min's to work or 1 person rides single slant 35 min's to work,, mostly 1 person cars and trucks going to work anyway, save gas and room on the road and where they park at work and stink in the air,,how many bikes can you fit in one parking space ha,, no offence ment to anyone,,

bill